Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default To Mauser or not to Mauser

Morning Gentlemen,

I was hoping to ask some opinions about acquiring the new Mauser M12? I have a .303 that I inherited from my dad, and I'm currently looking for an addition to the arsenal. Also, I have to say that I am a bit of a sucker for heritage and tradition. So I'm looking for something that will be timeless and special. Something I can leave to my son one day and it will still be amazing. So I have been doing a lot of research and found the new Mauser M12 to be my favourite thus far. I don't want to spend more than R30k, so that will be the top limit.

Now, all sentiment aside, I would also like a good performing rifle. How does the Mauser perform? I was thinking of getting it in a .308?

Your thoughts, please?

Thank you

Banned

Default Re: To Mauser or not to Mauser

Eybsie, please post an intro - it is a Gunsite custom and "have-to".

Cannot comment on Mauser yet. You already have a 303 (bosveldkettie), why not try and get something with a little longer reach? Since you have a sentimental side, do the German thing and get yourself a 8x68 - the German answer to the US .300's.

Very important: what is your purpose with the rifle?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Eybsie, please post an intro - it is a Gunsite custom and "have-to".

Cannot comment on Mauser yet. You already have a 303 (bosveldkettie), why not try and get something with a little longer reach? Since you have a sentimental side, do the German thing and get yourself a 8x68 - the German answer to the US .300's.

Very important: what is your purpose with the rifle?
    I knew there was a reason I liked you.

@eybsie. +1 to what Ds J said.

User

Smile Re: To Mauser or not to Mauser

Hi There,

Went and did the intro as suggested, thanks;-)

As far as calibre is concerned, I was looking at other calibres but was surprised when I saw what ammunition cost, especially on the .300 Wm. It was my first choice, but there was almost R200 difference per box. So, I want something that my bank manager will find "sustainable" if I go shoot a few rounds every second week or so. At the prices I found the .300 and other calibres going for, the.308 seemed the most cost effective.

The use of the rifle, I do most of my hunting in the Karoo and Free State. I'm also very keen on doing a trip or two in the near future to Kalahari and Namibia. So want something that can shoot anything from Springbok to Gemsbok. And, as I mentioned target practice and recreational shooting every other week or so

Banned

If you are going to shoot that often you should seriously consider reloading. It cuts your costs and you have the advantage of "custom made" cartridges which are tuned to your own rifle's needs.

And yes, the .308 will do anything you mentioned at a good price. If you reload for it, you should be able to get away for less that R15/shot.

I still think you should get a 8x68 - just because I want one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

I still think you should get a 8x68 - just because I want one.
    Real Gun Site advise, straight from the heart.

Banned

8x68 yes but a bit heavy for the normal every day shooting. Keeping to European calibers - the 7x64 is a better choice and can be flat shooting for the open spaces and usable in the bush.

User

If you want to shoot that often, reloading is the answer. I had the same headache with getting a safe-mate for my 303. I also wanted unique yet heritage orientated. So you know what I got... A Ruger African in 375 Ruger! Loving it, but have not killed with it. And have not even got a scope yet.

Do you reeeeally think you are going to the range every 2 weeks?

Another tip: The mauser m12 is brilliant! Crisp trigger, smooth action. Solid quality. However, at R27k a rifle, if i was considering pricing(Ruger Africans are around R18k) I'd go for a slightly lower costed rifle, and use the balance R10k to buy reload gear and as many factory rounds as possible to just to get started. Thats just my opinion now. The Mauser is a good solid rifle.

User

I've been reading up on the M12 the last year or so. From all accounts it seems like a great rifle. I have however decided to save up for the M03.

The one thing I do not like about the M12, is that the barrel is "sweated" into the receiver instead of using traditional threading. This means that it us imposible to change barrels. This is not a big deal for some people, but I for one would like the option to chuck the barrel and use the action again if the need arises. Maybe it can be done with a sweated rifle barrel/action, I just figured it sounds like to much pt to be even worth the hassle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I've been reading up on the M12 the last year or so. From all accounts it seems like a great rifle. I have however decided to save up for the M03.

The one thing I do not like about the M12, is that the barrel is "sweated" into the receiver instead of using traditional threading. This means that it us imposible to change barrels. This is not a big deal for some people, but I for one would like the option to chuck the barrel and use the action again if the need arises. Maybe it can be done with a sweated rifle barrel/action, I just figured it sounds like to much pt to be even worth the hassle.
    Any idea why this has been done? What was the advantage the designing engineers saw for doing this?!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast