Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: To Mauser or not to Mauser

The normal - cutting of cost

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TorK View Post
    Any idea why this has been done? What was the advantage the designing engineers saw for doing this?!
    Cost a lot less than threading two and then mating them too speck. A barrel on a upmarket hunting rifle in non varminting - non magnum caliber should last 2/3 lifetimes, so its not really a manufacturer concern.
    Replacing the barrel must be possible - man made it man can fix it.
    I would assume it would be cut and turned out of action, butI do not see why a sweat fit barrel will not be removable after time by reheating.

Banned

[QUOTE=eybsie;667289
    Now, all sentiment aside, I would also like a good performing rifle. How does the Mauser perform? I was thinking of getting it in a .308?

Your thoughts, please?

Thank you[/QUOTE]

eybsie, it would not be ethical of me to allow you to spend so much money on just "any" caliber, I would therefor have to recommend you get a .270 Win and save yourself much later regret.
    You may note that Mauser chose to include this caliber in its prestigious line up, for good reason as well, you will also note that there is a 6.5 Swede, sadly they screwed up and included the 6.5 Creedmoor.

The .270 Win can do all and everything you want including nearing its 100th b/day.
    To add to this great figures like Jack O Conner and Messor were great fans of the caliber and spoke much of the .270 ties almost mystical powers.
    You would do well to follow there expertise as I did.

The M12 is a great rifle! Rebarreling would only be an issue if you plan to shoot a hell of a lot and shoot the barrel out, and in .308 your hunting accuracy should be good for at least 5000+ shots, probably a lot more.

As others have said - .308, .30-06, .270, 7x64 will also do as well as the other in terms of lethality on most antelope.

If you want a very long barrel life the 308 is about as good as it gets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
    The M12 is a great rifle! Rebarreling would only be an issue if you plan to shoot a hell of a lot and shoot the barrel out, and in .308 your hunting accuracy should be good for at least 5000+ shots, probably a lot more.

As others have said - .308, .30-06, .270, 7x64 will also do as well as the other in terms of lethality on most antelope.
    What's the present price for a M12, say in .308 calibre? Guess this should be attributed onto the R5000 shots.

Personally I like the idea that a barrel can be replaced. Just like I like car parts to be easily replaceable. Probably just the economist in me thinking like that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    8x68 yes but a bit heavy for the normal every day shooting. Keeping to European calibers - the 7x64 is a better choice and can be flat shooting for the open spaces and usable in the bush.
    I second this. If you want to hunt in open area's a lot of your shots are going to be over 200m, and you will be grateful of the extra legs a 7x64 gives you over the 308, and the recoil is pretty much the same.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I second this. If you want to hunt in open area's a lot of your shots are going to be over 200m, and you will be grateful of the extra legs a 7x64 gives you over the 308, and the recoil is pretty much the same.
    Using a 308 with 150gr bullet at 2800fps as baseline, how much flatter is a compatable bullet from the x64 out to say 350m?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Realistically, in a hunting scenario, the 7x64 is not going to offer any measurable advantage over the .308 win at ranges out to 400m. I have not owned a .308 win in more than 30 years and have never owned a 7x64 (I do own and use a 7x57) but I do have the opportunity to see a lot of calibers in action in the field.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Using a 308 with 150gr bullet at 2800fps as baseline, how much flatter is a compatable bullet from the x64 out to say 350m?
    https://www.sporting-rifle.com/featu...he%20Brenneke. You get a bit more with the 7x64.
    I agree the Mauser M12 is a great rifle and shooting out a barrel of a rifle that is not an over bore caliber is slim. If you are that keen on shooting you would most likely upgrade to other range rifles. I have a 270Win made in 1948, it was shot extensively by the 1st owner, still shooting perfectly for hunting purposes - 2 shots in R5 at 200m.

Availability of quality factory ammunition should be high on your list.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast