Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: To Mauser or not to Mauser

All things being equal the 7x64 might have around 5cm less drop (with 154gr) at 350m (65cm v 70cm), being a marginally thinner projectile (with slightly higher BC & SD).

However, I would think .308 is "even easier" to load for; it has the option of lee collet dies which the 7x64 does not. The .308's short action has a potential, slight benefit in weight, but alas; neither kills deader than the other.

User

350m is far when shooting from a field position, not far when using a bench or bipod that you can do closed eyes, but over shooting sticks, or over natural obstacles, I would venture a guess skill and experience will play a far greater roll making such a shot than cartridge ever will.

A 6.5x55, 270, 7x64, 308 or 30-06 WILL work in the hands of an experienced oke, in the hands of a once a year shooter no cartridge on earth is going to help him make a 350m shot guaranteed first time.

The lesson will then be regardless of which cartridge you take your fancy Mauser in, make sure you practice with it a lot.

User

You know you guys are making my point for me...

Look I'd LOVE to have a 7x64. A very tiny bit less than I'd love to have a 280Rem... but really, there's so little difference on paper between any of our "normal" hunting cartridges, and even less difference in the field.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    You know you guys are making my point for me...

Look I'd LOVE to have a 7x64. A very tiny bit less than I'd love to have a 280Rem... but really, there's so little difference on paper between any of our "normal" hunting cartridges, and even less difference in the field.
    Pirate, at 2800ft/s if you compare the 154gr SST in 7mm against the 150 SST in 308, zeroed at 200m with a 25km/h wind, then the 7mm will drop about 4cm less at 350m, but the wind will blow the 308 10cm more off course, which is the aspect many folk enjoy about higher BC bullets.

You can throw a 150gr SST from a 270 in there as well, but it's got an identical BC to the 154 7mm SST, meaning at 2800ft/s they fly the same.
    So the 270 and the 7x64 will do the same, and if we are honest we'll say they are more suited to the plains, since they are much more forgiving when the wind picks up.

Be that as it may people must never take shots further than their skill set allows, so it's not necessary to shoot 350m.
    If we say 250m is a more reasonable shooting distance, then performance difference across the board will be negligible.

User

The only problem a .308 has, is its vanilla nature. 'n 3006 does virtually nothing a .308 can't, and a .270 can create a bloody mess on impala at 40m. The 7x64, however, is an elegant, continental solution, inbetween the 270 and 3006, being more refined than its brash american cousin 7remmag. Simply classy, and venerable. (Grabs coat and runs out the door.)

User

I agree with everything you say ;-) using your parameters above I calculate about 46cm wind deflection at 350m for the 308, so let's say the 7mm is blown 36cm off course? I'd wager if you can estimate the wind well enough to work out that lead, it doesn't matter which of the two you're shooting!

I kinda arbitrarily chose 350m as a distance for comparison, but I agree it's really outside of what should be considered "normal" hunting distances. I'm wary of shots past 230m, becuase thats the point-blank range of my chosen load when zeroed at 200m. I'm guessing (really, I'm not basing this on any calcs) the 7mm and the 270 will extend that point blank range by 10m or less.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    The only problem a .308 has, is its vanilla nature. 'n 3006 does virtually nothing a .308 can't, and a .270 can create a bloody mess on impala at 40m. The 7x64, however, is an elegant, continental solution, inbetween the 270 and 3006, being more refined than its brash american cousin 7remmag. Simply classy, and venerable. (Grabs coat and runs out the door.)
    I do realise that your post is tongue in cheek but I've spent countless hours around campfires and bar counters in hunting camps listening to hunters extolling this kind of imaginary magical virtues they believe their favorite cartridge to have. I have spent even more hours tracking game wounded with those very same magical cartridges. Not because of any fault of the cartridge but because the owner believed that the cartridge would make up for his lack of skill.

User

TStone, well said.

User

@ Pirate, I do own both a 270 and a 308 so I am well qualified to speak on the topic, and wrt normal hunting they do just about the same.
    But, and this is a big but, I don't only shoot heart/lung shots, I take those shots which we normally caution people against as well, many of them, and for that application the 270 is miles ahead.

But for the sake of the thread, in your Mauser get whatever you want personally, it will do the same thing.

User

By the way, for those that did not notice, this thread is 6 years old, hence we are just debating because we like it, nothing more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast