User

Default MTAC vs Geoff carter holster

Hi all

I'm wanting to get an IWB holster for my G17. I know both of the mentioned holster manufacturers do great work but advice from people with experience would be amazing. I'm Looking for something that will conceal well and that is comfortable (will be working long hours outdoors) which of these two options do you think is best and what model?

Thanks!

User

Default Re: MTAC vs Geoff carter holster

Oops just noticed this has already been discussed.. However, considering my job does anyone have advice as to which option might be more suitable? Thanks

User

Eish man, get both!

Mtac was more comfortable, until Carter started making the hybrid holster. Retention and draw is better and customizable on the Carter. My dad has an old faithful (same idea, leather and kydex) and the draw is slightly hindered by the leather.

I carry ONLY a carter multicarry, in IWB position 24/7. I do everything with it. ride bike, drive, walk, play on the ground with the dogs and little kids. Jumping and running.. It sits.

Working long hours outdoor, if hot it will get sweaty the leather and might get uncomfortable if hot and sweaty.

But either way, sorry to say I don't have MTAC experience. The waiting time for it when I wanted it and parts wise etc, Geoff will always be my first bet. Great service (Jacques them too yes) but to have it fixed or replaced is much quicker. I have seen his Hybrid, and it is really well made. Just like his other products.

So I have tried the Old Faithful hybrid holster, similar to MTAC, but my main gear is Carter. OWB and multi carry and mag carriers. Have a double multi carry mag carrier and single OWB mag carrier.

So I guess I am biased, but knowing Geoff and mainly using his products, it just works great.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    Oops just noticed this has already been discussed.. However, considering my job does anyone have advice as to which option might be more suitable? Thanks
    Maybe be more elaborate on your "job" and "long ours outdoor" part please?

User

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm on a dairy farm so I'm very mobile all day long pretty much. That's why I'm concerned with comfort.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm on a dairy farm so I'm very mobile all day long pretty much. That's why I'm concerned with comfort.
    You know, no matter which good holster you end up with, a good belt and a week of carrying and you will be used to it.

Sure, now and then something bothers me a bit, and I am aware of it but it is not such an issue that it will bug me and irritate me. To EDC 24/7, one makes it as comfortable as possible with a good holster and a GOOD belt. DON'T scimp on the belt at all. Using a normal belt will make the gun feel heavy, will sag down and pull your pants down and be uncomfortable.

Then it is just a matter of "running in the holster" or getting used to it.

When I started out, I was very aware of it. After a week or two, I would go a day without thinking about it at all and without it bothering me.

With the leather backed holsters, it might be uncomfortable at first too. The leather needs to get worked and the more you wear it the more comfortable it will get. However, I maintain that when hot and sweaty, it might become an issue. But that might be something which may not bother you.

Let's see when some farmers chime in..

User

Cool man. Thanks for the input :)

User

I have both the CKCS IWB and Mtac. Both great holsters, but for me the Mtac wins.

The Mtac has a lower profile so it conceals a lot better and I prefer the clips on the Mtac to the CKCS.
    The leather backing on the Mtac stops the holster pressing into a small area of your body, you will appreciate it if you are active the whole day.

The CKCS IWB has a much smoother draw being all kydex.
    The Mtac is also nice, but what I have found is if you press the muzzle in towards your body when you draw, the leather seems to bite and jam up the draw. If you practice your draw this isn't a problem.

User

Oh the carter holsters also comes with tuck able clips and if you really want Geoff can make c clips. He did for mine a while back but I broke the one clip. So he gave me his newer clips which work much better and still tuckable