Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Self build safe

User

Default Re: Self build safe

I have a copy of a SAPS National Instruction which states safes do not have to be SABS certified but it has to comply to the SABS standards. I'll look for it and post it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    How many guns do you plan to store in that safe?
    As I said this one is for the office, but it could easily fit about 14/16 rifles side by side.
    Sizes are 1980h x 1100w x 400d

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post
    I have a copy of a SAPS National Instruction which states safes do not have to be SABS certified but it has to comply to the SABS standards. I'll look for it and post it.
    +1
    No need to have it certified.

From the SAAACA website, quoting from Regulation 86 of the Firearms Control Regulations:
    86(1) “When a firearm is not under the direct personal and physical control of a holder of a licence, authorisation or permit to possess the firearm, the firearm and its ammunition must be stored in a safe or strongroom that conforms to the prescripts of SABS Standard 953-1 and 953-2, unless otherwise specifically provided in these regulations.”
    http://www.saaaca.org.za/?page_id=822

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    +1 No need to have it certified. From the SAAACA website, quoting from Regulation 86 of the Firearms Control Regulations: 86(1) “When a firearm is not under the direct personal and physical control of a holder of a licence, authorisation or permit to possess the firearm, the firearm and its ammunition must be stored in a safe or strongroom that conforms to the prescripts of SABS Standard 953-1 and 953-2, unless otherwise specifically provided in these regulations.” http://www.saaaca.org.za/?page_id=822
    Hell thanks a lot for all the info guys!!!
    Appreciate it!
    Ok well a few pennies later and a few minutes of reading it seems (if I'm reading it correctly) this safe WAY over cedes the 953-1 standards.
    Exempt for the torture (resistance to attack) testing part witch I don't know until someone tried having a bash at it I guess.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jpzx12rturbo View Post
    Pins move out of both sides of the door. Attachment 15325
    Those aren't pins. They're big ass bars!!

Very well done in the safe!

So when can we start placing our orders? ;)

Would you build me one? Even a little bigger :-)
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm -George Orwell

User

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Those aren't pins. They're big ass bars!! Very well done in the safe! So when can we start placing our orders? ;)
    Dude I just spat Horlick's all over my iPad.
    They are 45mm dia. Pins or (Bars) as you would put it.
    As I said I think I way over engineered this thing... Even the internals all run on gears to increase torque on the moving parts.
    So it's a one finger turn of the handle but you moving almost 5-10kg worth of mechanics inside.
    The sound the door and mechanisms make when it closes is more of a "thump" than the normal "clank"

I would love to make more but I think the waiting period and price would be a killer!

User

Quote Originally Posted by spiggs View Post
    Would you build me one? Even a little bigger :-)
    It's not impossible...... Check spiggs rocking a 2ton safe with 4 gas lifts to open the door. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Jpzx12rturbo View Post
    As I said this one is for the office, but it could easily fit about 14/16 rifles side by side.
    Sizes are 1980h x 1100w x 400d
    I do not want to rain on your party but I have doubts as to whether your safe is SABS specification compliant. Your safe would fall, at a minimum, within the A1 safe category. You will see that for that category it has to resist opening for a minimum of 30 minutes with certain specified hand tools (it is tested this way as opposed to by means of minimum wall thickness and so forth). You will see that all safes built by SABS accredited manufacturers to this standard have a minimum thickness of 12 mm steel of both walls and doors. The risk you are running by building your own safe in this particular context is that if it is forced and the contents stolen, if you have an investigating officer who is slightly more than half awake, you may find yourself charged with negligence in the storage of your firearms. I do not want to be funny but I would not be prepared to run the risk for the saving concerned. I am genuinely sorry if this upsets you as that is not my intention but I do think it is better that I bring this to your attention than that I remain silent. To be clear, I have again read and checked the specifications this morning before making this post.

User

Thanks for your input WZ
    As I said this one is for the office for file/doc. Ect. So it's not really a train smash.
    But before I do even contemplate building one for myself/firearms, i wanted to find out about all the legalities & standards (which is exactly what I'm accomplishing here)
    And as I've only downloaded and read 953-1, and according to that it complies.. Maybe I should get the rest of the documents before I make a decision to build another one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast