Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Generators

User

Default Generators

I'm toying with the idea of getting an inverter-type generator, specifically the Honda EU20i

It would need to power two PC's and related networking equipment (Yeah, I know, not very specific), given that I work from home and that I don't get paid if I don't work.

Where can I find the Honda for a good price?

Is its output sufficient for my needs (aka, How long is a piece of string? Alternatively, is there way to test my power consumption on specific plugs?)?

Is there some other high-quality inverter-type generator I should look at?

User

Default Re: Generators

I am not a fan of running PC's on a generator, rather look at a UPS

User

Why not run a generator and then plug it into the ups? My generator has a proper avr in and I run it thru a multi plug with surge protection for all my appliances

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, thanks for starting it AshleyR. I have kept my eye on Gumtree and there the odd one or two Honda EU generators pop up, mostly for between R8500 and R14500. Too rich for my blood if it's only 2 or 3 KVA.

User

Like you mentioned you are not very specific on what you want to run on the generator but average PC used with a network system like a hub/switch, router and stuff like printers and scanners you would at least need something in the 3- 4 kVA range to be on the safe side.

PC's use a lot more power than people think so don't underestimate them. And printers eats power especially laser printers during the printing cycle.

Google will help you determine average power consumption of the equipment you want to run then you can start from there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mags101 View Post
    Why not run a generator and then plug it into the ups? My generator has a proper avr in and I run it thru a multi plug with surge protection for all my appliances
    That's the plan - UPS to handle dips and provide a few minutes of cover, and a generator to provide longer-term power. I've noticed that the EU20i doesn't have an AVR, and not even its biggest brother, the EU65is, has one. I'm not sure if it's because inverter generators maybe don't need one or what.

Quote Originally Posted by pbuitendag View Post
    I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, thanks for starting it AshleyR. I have kept my eye on Gumtree and there the odd one or two Honda EU generators pop up, mostly for between R8500 and R14500. Too rich for my blood if it's only 2 or 3 KVA.
    They are pretty pricey because of their efficiency, low noise levels, etc., so I want to buy new so that I'm covered by warranty. Still, I'd like to try find the best new price possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ruaanfs View Post
    Like you mentioned you are not very specific on what you want to run on the generator ... Google will help you determine average power consumption of the equipment you want to run then you can start from there.
    I definitely won't be running the printer on the generator - just the two PCs, a single screen for each, the router, switch, and ADSL modem. I could add together the maximum AC power ratings for all of these, but again, that would just be an guess. In the US, you get something called a Kill-A-Watt that shows actual usage, but unfortunately it's 110v-only.

Inverter generators do not need AVRs.

User

My suggestion would be to use an APC UPS for the PC's and then use a generator to power the UPS. APC UPS's are the best money can buy. They will protect against virtually all power related problems.

User

Then a 2 kVA should be enough to power those components

I have a standard 5kva generator with AVR to power whole house, with UPS for computer equipment. Can honestly say that is more than enough juice to even boil a kettle or use 1 plate on the stove, and it cost less than the Honda EU gens.

Never had any issues and it's 4 years later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast