Hi all,
I was asking for places to hunt a while ago and in returnfor the info I thought I would follow up with a quick review.
Having lived in Canada for last few years I needed friendsand forum members in SA to help with recommendations for hunting. An oldvarsity buddy in KZN recommended a few places, one of them being Spoor Safariswhich we finally decided on.
The group was 6 people: my friend, his brother and hisfriend, myself, my wife and my mother (4 hunters).
I found the accommodation to be good and definitely worththe price. The property is large (over 4000ha) and there is abundant game. Thegame prices for the most part are good or at least ‘competitive’. The tracker Ihunted with, Elfaas, was excellent. In my broken Zulu we determined on thefirst morning that I like to walk and cover ground, see the landscape and enjoythe bush. I am not joined at the butt to the bakkie which it seemed to be themodus operandi on which they operated – the norm for many I guess. The farmmanager Marko was a nice guy to deal with. We used one of our vehicles and nottheir farm bakkie so I can’t comment on that. A few considerations:
- The house is nice, comfortable and well enough appointed.I would personally have preferred that the beer fridge in the lounge area didnot have a bright light at night and wasn’t so noisy.
- The property is beautiful but could do with somemore management like burning, Hyparrhenia harvesting etc. (the property isowned by the neighbouring community who received it under land claim).
- Game are abundant but they do hunt year round sothe animals can be quite ‘skittish’.
- Take cash. You can pay by EFT but when we leftthe internet was too slow for online banking.
I can definitely recommend the place.
Lastly, I had my meat processed at Rayton Biltong en Braai.At R18/kg it wasn’t the cheapest place but there are no other hidden costs the productsis very good. Again, I can recommend them.