Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Impala and Bluewildebees hunt with a Cheetah twist

My brother and I were invited to go gor a hunt on a friends farm near Hoedspruit. Our hunt date was moved 6 times due to the various people schedules changing the whole time. We were suppose to go hunting the 1st of August but it got moved to 4 July. We made the necessity preparations and tweaked my GS custom loads and we left on Thursday afternoon.

We arrived at the farm around 19:30 where we were met with a bush pig foraging in the skin shed. I was a bit slow with the rifle and he was gone. The farm manager had already lit the fire and my brother and I enjoyed a cold one before the next days hunt. My friend informed me he would arrive at around 23:30. At 21:00 we heard some leaves cracking behind the boma and after further investigation was met by a large white rhino bull. He trotted off into the bush without a fuss.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The next morning we sited in my rifle(my brother only owes paintball gun) with happy results.

[IMG][/IMG]

We set off after that on foot, but the wind was terrible. It would not hold a direction for longer than 5 minutes before changing course. This caused anything wild animal to sent us from all directions. The impalas will bark left, then right. After a stalk on some we saw you would feel the breeze then in your neck and they would be gone. I managed to shoot a decent ram with my 308 around 12:30. The 130 GS Customs at 3160f/s pack a serious punch. The lungs were a mess but meat damage was minimal.

[IMG][/IMG]

We retired for lunch and the rest of the afternoon did not yield any results,

The evening we decided that my brother would use my friend's 308 to have a better chance. I was dropped off and after about two hours stalk managed to shoot a very nice impala ram.

[IMG][/IMG]

My brother was unsuccessful during the morning and we were picked up to help search for a wounded buck from one of the other hunters. The other guys retired for lunch but I kept going after two apples because I was searching for my kudu which my wife bought me for our anniversary. I only managed to shoot 1 more impala ewe. The we was 20 meters away and the head exploded from the GS Customs. Buit graphic to put on here.

Now here is where it gets interesting. My brother has never hunted before on foot and he has only shot two blesbuck from a bakkie in his life. He was guided by one of our friend for the Saturday afternoon. He was shopping for a Bluewildebees. The were walking along and came onto some impala and because it was getting late he thought that beggars cant be choosers and thus shot a nice impala ewe.

[IMG][/IMG]

They went on from there where they stalked close to a large bluewildebees which he shot. She was quartering forward and the bullets shattered the top of the heart and she expired 40m from there. They took some nice pics and kept on hunting. She dressed out 93kg.

[IMG][/IMG]

When my friend picked them up later to go and pic up the bwb they were surprised by two cheetahs having a go at his bwb. My friends border collie was of the bakkie to show these cats a thing or two. My friend jumped out of the bakkie and threw the dog back onto the bakkie. He then charged the cats with the bakkie but there were not letting up. It ended with him firing a shot before they retreated enough to load the bwb.

[IMG][/IMG]

So my little brother who does not hunt had the best story to tell and shot the biggest animal of the weekend. But it was time well spent and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ons our way off the farm he causally asked...so how much is a hunting rifle:)

Default Re: Impala and Bluewildebees hunt with a Cheetah twist

Hell of a story my friend and the photos to prove it as well. Needles to say you will probably never see this on a hunting farm again. Awesome!

User

Nice story. I'm due to go hunting next week. This makes me even more anxious to get there!

User

I enjoyed the read, thanks.

User

You could have at least left them the tail? They look pretty partial to it.

User

Well done, thanks for sharing.

User

Sounds like an awesome hunt!

Thanks for the pics and for sharing

Nice hunt
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Banned

First time I hear of "scavenging" cheetahs. Very nice story, must have been a rewarding experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    First time I hear of "scavenging" cheetahs. Very nice story, must have been a rewarding experience.
    This ! Congrats on all the trophies hunted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast