Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Collector's status

Wow, thanks for the input. 100%

User

I apologize for the side question. Let say you now get to a point with your current shooting sport and you have 30 guns and you're not in the mood to compete anymore. Can you then before a collector, let's say with a "modern combat" theme and license all those under collector? Or can you be a dedicated sports shooter and maintain the minimum required and also be a collector for subsequent guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Bokman View Post
    Thanks WZ it is sound advice! Does that mean that one has to undergo a type of exam?
    Sort of. You have to submit a written application motivating or why you want to become a collector, what your proposed theme is and why you are interested in it. This is then usually followed by an interview with a committee of gentlemen, some of whom may be very knowledgeable about firearms and who will probe you at a number of levels in order to ascertain whether you genuinely wish to become a collector or simply looking for a way to license more guns (without being pejorative about it) and will seek to ascertain the depth of your knowledge in relation to your proposed theme. The idea is to weed out "chancers" while also trying not to be intimidating. This is why I say it is better to start with quite a narrow theme about which you know a great deal.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 13-07-2014 at 16:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post
    I apologize for the side question. Let say you now get to a point with your current shooting sport and you have 30 guns and you're not in the mood to compete anymore. Can you then before a collector, let's say with a "modern combat" theme and license all those under collector? Or can you be a dedicated sports shooter and maintain the minimum required and also be a collector for subsequent guns?
    The criteria around collecting themes is becoming stricter and it is very unlikely (extremely unlikely) that you would now be approved a theme "modern combat". Bear in mind that the default position for semiautomatic weapons is usually that they are more than 50 years old, although you can justify new weapons under a range of potential exceptions to the 50 year rule. However, generally speaking it is very difficult to justify current production semiautomatic weapons. Handguns are a whole lot easier. Also, you would probably struggle from a knowledge perspective with a "modern combat" because I doubt that any one person knows everything about a theme as wide as that.

There is no reason in law why you cannot be both a dedicated sport shooter and a collector simultaneously but from the collectors' perspective, the two are completely separate.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Sort of. You have to submit a written application motivating or why you want to become a collector, what your proposed theme is and why you are interested in it. This is then usually followed by an interview with a committee of gentlemen, some of whom may be very knowledgeable about firearms and who will probe you at a number of levels in order to ascertain whether you genuinely wish to become a collector or simply looking for a way to license more guns (without being pejorative about it) and will seek to ascertain the depth of your knowledge in relation to your proposed theme. The idea is to weed out "chancers" while also trying not to be intimidating. This is why I say it is better to start with quite a narrow theme about which you know a great deal.
    I understand that you have to have knowledge of the guns that one would like to collect. So one could go for something like 1911 pistols or John Browning pistols for a start?

Apparently you have to work your way up from Cat D instead of just applying for Cat B (SLRs) like the old days

Quote Originally Posted by Bokman View Post
    I understand that you have to have knowledge of the guns that one would like to collect. So one could go for something like 1911 pistols or John Browning pistols for a start?
    You understand perfectly. In fact, that is quite a common theme amongst collectors. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fivefivesix View Post
    Apparently you have to work your way up from Cat D instead of just applying for Cat B (SLRs) like the old days
    Yes, that is more or less correct. And it usually takes, at the very least, a number of years. It really is not an option for people who are simply looking for an easy way to license a semiautomatic long gun.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    You understand perfectly. In fact, that is quite a common theme amongst collectors. :-)
    Thanks, I thought it would be. If I could start there I already have some that falls in that category. I will have to think about it seriously.

Okay, if you do wish to seriously pursue it, send me a PM and I will ascertain which collectors association is closest to you, given your location indicated on your site profile.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast