Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Default Re: Collector's status

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    That is the usual reaction of people who are only interested in semiautomatic weapons when they find out that they cannot immediately start collecting semiautomatic weapons. On the other hand, from the collectors perspective the view is fundamentally different. There are good and sound reasons for the processes and rules established by the collectors associations and they would have to be a truly exceptional reason for any of those processes and rules to be departed from.
    PS: I should add that it would also be illegal under the FCA and its regulations. By law you have to start in Category D or Category C. The only exception is if you were already a collector of semiautomatic weapons under the previous Arms and Ammunition Act.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    You would probably find it quite difficult, if not very difficult, maybe even impossible, to obtain a certificate of collectability for, for example, an NEA.
    What if your theme is Semi-auto sporting rifles of post long-gun register Canadian manufacture?
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    What if your theme is Semi-auto sporting rifles of post long-gun register Canadian manufacture?
    What if you are trolling?

User

Except it excludes anyone who's interests don't follow those of the guys in charge.

Honestly you can almost go back 100 years with semi auto rifles being deployed (if you are running a military theme). More if you're talking semi auto in general. Restricting you to the class A and B categories seems like a good idea, to get people to prove their dedication to actual collecting, but like I said, I have zero want or need for a military bolt action rifle. My interests are in semi auto. Same way I have zero interest in an ox wagon or even a Model T Ford. They may be great examples of what they were, but what they were does not interest me.

I'm fortunate that I can meet my needs with my DSS.

It also seems a little spurious that I could make a theme along the lines of "Smith and Wesson double action revolvers produced between 1930 and 1990", but JS4's example is a no no. It sounds like the collecting body is doing GFSA's job for them.

KBK

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    Except it excludes anyone who's interests don't follow those of the guys in charge.

Honestly you can almost go back 100 years with semi auto rifles being deployed (if you are running a military theme). More if you're talking semi auto in general. Restricting you to the class A and B categories seems like a good idea, to get people to prove their dedication to actual collecting, but like I said, I have zero want or need for a military bolt action rifle. My interests are in semi auto. Same way I have zero interest in an ox wagon or even a Model T Ford. They may be great examples of what they were, but what they were does not interest me.

I'm fortunate that I can meet my needs with my DSS.

It also seems a little spurious that I could make a theme along the lines of "Smith and Wesson double action revolvers produced between 1930 and 1990", but JS4's example is a no no. It sounds like the collecting body is doing GFSA's job for them.

KBK
    You have a great deal to say but you actually understand very little about the reality of matters. As far as I am concerned, this part of this thread is now done. I'm happy to answer questions but I'm not letting this descend into a "bash the collectors" thread by folks who've got no clue as to matters on the ground.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 14-07-2014 at 09:16.

User

There is a difference between a firearm collector and a firearm gatherer. I am currently a cat B collector and will abide by my collector's association's rules. If I find a firearm which interests me and does not fit in my current collection, I will not try and bend the rules to make it fit. I see myself as a true collector and am always looking for firearms to add to my collection, provided it fits my theme and field of interest.
    I also compete in our annual "Collector of the Year" competition where you pick one of your licensed collector firearms and place it on exhibition for everyone to see. You also need to convince the judges that your specific gun is more collectable than the other entries. My wife won last year's competition with a H&K VP70z 9mmP polymer framed handgun. She has a "modern" theme and she battled to get it approved. Once it was approved she proved that she can be just as passionate with her collection as some of the other members which collect German Drillings and double rifles.

If you want to become a collector to attempt to license everything you can lay your hands on, then forget it. Gun collecting is not for you.

User

Actually WZ can we explore JS4's idea a little further. I am not trying to troll but is it necessary that a theme be military based? What would the problem with a theme being civilian or sports based?

Like for example "bench rest sporting rifles from 1950 to 1990" or "skeet shooting shotguns of the 20th century" or even "IPSC approved long guns 1970 to 2000". I would think that this could be classified as just as serious a collection as any military one. Yes it would need extra scrutiny to ensure the guy isn't trying to pull a fast one, but if the collector is sincere then I see no reason why it should not be treated seriously by the collecting bodies.

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Actually WZ can we explore JS4's idea a little further. I am not trying to troll but is it necessary that a theme be military based? What would the problem with a theme being civilian or sports based?

Like for example "bench rest sporting rifles from 1950 to 1990" or "skeet shooting shotguns of the 20th century" or even "IPSC approved long guns 1970 to 2000". I would think that this could be classified as just as serious a collection as any military one. Yes it would need extra scrutiny to ensure the guy isn't trying to pull a fast one, but if the collector is sincere then I see no reason why it should not be treated seriously by the collecting bodies.
    I don't know enough regarding how the process works, but I assume a lot will depend on the collectability or collector's value of your proposed acquisitions. On the other hand, if your collection pertains specifically to the AR15 and it's development and evolution as a platform since inception in 1958, and you possess sufficient knowledge and genuine enthusiasm for that specific type of firearm for example, as well as intending to buy some really rare, prime guns...perhaps you would be able to convince the panel that it is acceptable. You will probably have to jump through hoops of fire though (and know Eugene Stoner's biography backwards), so if you only want them for fun and not serious collection it's probably easier to just get DSS.

Example:

(Check the serial number on this bad boy) :O
    Last edited by Gunservant; 14-07-2014 at 12:13.

User

What non-collectors seldom understand, is that the Act (60 of 2000) and regulations, specify certain parameters for arms collection. And the various collector's associations will be well advised, not to exceed these boundaries. We might not all agree on the rules, but we have no influence on the matter, except by getting the Act changed. And the collectors have done a tremendous job of getting various provisions of the act, to be more reasonable. (One of the initial drafts of the act, required all collector FA's, to be PERMANENTLY de-activated! IIRC.) The latest amendment act, has also had lots of input from the collectors. Go read it, the changes are quite obvious...

So, before anyone starts to criticize the collectors about their "rules", first inform yourself of ALL the relevant facts, and try not to advertise your ignorance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    So, before anyone starts to criticize the collectors about their "rules", first inform yourself of ALL the relevant facts, and try not to advertise your ignorance.
    Agreed.

However it seems as if getting an answer to my question is like pulling teeth.

Would my example be a valid theme and, if not, why not? I would really like to understand.

Maybe I am just 'my advertising ignorance' but if i weren't ignorant I wouldn't need to ask, now would I?
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast