Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Collector's status

I am with PAAA, they are a good bunch of guys.
    They have been very helpful in slim-lining my themes, I guess "High Quality Firearms made in the Northern Hemisphere" was a bit too broad :p *cough*JS4*cough*

I have been with them for around 3 years and started as a Cat C and am currently working on a change to Cat B.
    Luckily the firearms I currently owned could be considered a collection, so my current theme covers Heckler Koch and Sig Sauer firearms.

On a side note, I did not get into Collectors to get hold of modern semi-autos, I use my DSS for that :)
    Sure, when I finally make it to Cat A, I would like to get hold of some of the "prohibited" firearms, but for the moment I am happy expanding on my HK and Sig Collection, and maybe add Smith & Wesson, Colt and Remington to the my themes

Quote Originally Posted by cornepotgieter28 View Post
    My problem I guess with the whole theme and field of interest is as follows. What if I like want or buy the following : a bolt action k98 Mauser, a falling block Roger no 1maybe a double rifle different calibers a shotgun or two over and under maybe a site by side one Italian maybe one Spanish add a semi auto AR for instance an old. 303 British maybe a couple of rimfires a big bore rifle or 2. Suddenly you have an awesome 'collection' of fine firearms some modern some historical some with real value etc. Because I would like different caliber, makes, types, etc. There would be no place for me because it isn't a specific field of interest or theme etc. Doesn't matter of the value knowledge etc. Of the 'collector' I would be seen as a chance and not welcome. There in lies my problem. (the main one, the rest with the old farts) ;)
    Well, start by explaining why you like each of those items and what it is about them that "gets you".

User

My view is that guns are like art... Not everyone will JUST collect Picasso's as there are many factors that define what you buy, opportunity that comes up, price, availability etc.

I have from a 1912 Luger right up to a week old Norinco CQA, while most will fit in a theme, how to you justify the odd pieces?
    Like the Luger P08 for example... I have no real interest in German FA's but the Luger... Every collection MUST have a Luger! Just like the 1911 its just that classic example of an Firearm.

User

It's OK for an art collector to have one Picasso one Monet and one Boonzaaier.

It's not OK for a firearm collector to work like that.

Deal with it. Or get them to change the rules (hint: the former is in the realm of possibility)

Exactly my point! There is such a variety of different guns. All of them has their own positives negatives etc. Guess I just don't like to discriminate!

User

Quote Originally Posted by cornepotgieter28 View Post
    Exactly my point! There is such a variety of different guns. All of them has their own positives negatives etc. Guess I just don't like to discriminate!

Then you are probably not a collector at this stage.

Yes big t upwards of 15 firearms is just a bunch of guns thank goodness for dss dhs and sa hunters! Otherwise no place in the sun for this gun lover!

User

I have a good few guns too, but they aren't a collection, they are tools I use for different purposes. I don't expect people to see them as a collection. Your a gun lover, not a collector. That's not a value judgment, it just appears to be a fact.

I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by wrm View Post
    It's OK for an art collector to have one Picasso one Monet and one Boonzaaier.It's not OK for a firearm collector to work like that.Deal with it. Or get them to change the rules (hint: the former is in the realm of possibility)
    As it's also possible to have 25 rescued .38 special revolvers and be recognised, while my daughters 25 drawings might not be considered an art collection. There's lots of nuances. But, deal with it.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast