Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Default Re: Collector's status

Gotta differentiate between a firearms accumulator, and a collector. That is what the associations will be looking at.

DSG

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSheerGuns View Post
    Gotta differentiate between a firearms accumulator, and a collector. That is what the associations will be looking at.

DSG
    +1
    One thing that I was lucky with, was I already owned firearms that fell into my collectors theme.
    Now imagine with only 4 firearms (non DSS but wanting to collect), start a collection theme, how do you choose what theme you want to follow?

Hi guys, just how many collectors do we have on the forum? would be nice to have a bit of informal conversation, I have been a member of SAAACA since the 90's. Anybody with an interest in .22 or Musgrave hunting rifles?

Sorry if this is considered a hi-jack.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    +1
    One thing that I was lucky with, was I already owned firearms that fell into my collectors theme.
    Now imagine with only 4 firearms (non DSS but wanting to collect), start a collection theme, how do you choose what theme you want to follow?
    You don't choose a theme, you just verbalize the theme you have.. ;-)

Big John, start a thread; I'm curious myself to see how many collectors are here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    People who are effectively collecting guns under the auspices of sports shooting are gaming the system and placing all sports shooters at risk. At least we'll know who to blame when (not if) a restriction is placed on the number of DSS weapons that can be licensed.
    +1000

A few will spoil it for many...

I collect myself and I am all for people owning firearms, but I have seen people really just taking the p1ss out of it. And if I can see, it CFR can see it... WZ hit the nail on the head, not if! but when...

Call it a Click or what ever you wish, I know that is only a uninformed view. I am fully behind the "hoop jumping" and would not have had them go any easier on myself or anybody els for that matter. these people are not snobs or idiots, of that I assure you.

Collecting plays a roll in preserving history for future generations, it's not geared to arming you to the teath or impressing your mates with latest and greatest toys on the market. That, at least is my viewpoint

PS. not taking away from the fact there are loads of new toys I would love to have and there are some "new" weapons in collections, it's not all wheelchairs and black powder

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf Potgieter View Post
    Collecting plays a roll in preserving history for future generations, it's not geared to arming you to the teath or impressing your mates with latest and greatest toys on the market. That, at least is my viewpoint
    So your collection of old firearms trumps my collection of modern ones because you're preserving history and I'm impressing my mates? This is why we're in trouble. We really should all accept some common ground.

User

Could we call Corne an accumulator? I think we all accumulate sometimes....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    So your collection of old firearms trumps my collection of modern ones because you're preserving history and I'm impressing my mates? This is why we're in trouble. We really should all accept some common ground.
    Nope, not al all. and allot of the weapons in my collection at present and future are not that old in fact, but they had a big impact on Southern African history

It's not hate towards towards modern weapons... my point is just that I am happy the collectors associations are strict and its not a bunch of hoarders. we battle for the right to bear and keep arms, so therefore we should play nice and not rip the system apart and abuse it just to have 7 AR 15 rifles

People worked very very hard to fight for collector rights and put allot of their time and effort into getting us where we are. If collectors association allow the system to be used just so person A can build themselves a modern-day SF armory, they will be placing at risk all the collectors

I know of a LM6 on collectors (the first one made) a Dragunov (one of five brought in by Mr kalashnikov) a short barrel FN FAL (Deniable ex Rhodesia) and even H&K mp5 and .45 SOCOM to name a few... now that impresses mates and preserves history, and shows you that it's not discriminatory towards ''modern" firearms.

It's not my intent to throw one group under the buss or anything like that, I just think the system should not be allowed to misused. and that collectors (unfortunately for some) is not a free for all to license every thing and anything... but with some work, patience and by "proving" yourself they will allow you some nice stuff

But a shortcut to semi/full Auto it will never be...

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    I think we all accumulate sometimes....
    It can be hard to resist... close to impossible

@Dolf is the serial number of that LM6 you speak of Number 1?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast