Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Colt M16 SPR .22 - Review

A Quick review on the Colt M16 SPR .22 after 500 rounds

So I decided to keep back the review until I have had and run with the weapon a few times so I can give an honest review on it. I have added a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot and a Fab Defence T - Pod G2 foregrip to mine (a bit unpractical because the mags are so long to use the bipod function when prone, off bench - its fine). I will however run it a few more times in that configuration until I find something else that I like.

This is how I 1st saw it in the shop:

The packaging is all in cardboard but decent enough to protect the weapon. Included in the box you get 1 x 30 rnd mag, the normal stuff ie manuals etc and then a few tools for takedown.

With the extras added:

Lets start with the pro’s and the cons in my opinion:

Pro’s:

1. Comes with full rails so no extra expense there (vs M4 variant)
    2. Flip up Iron sights
    3. I like the weight
    4. Fun to shoot
    5. Accurate (cannot find the pics right now...)
    6. You can set the rifle bolt speed to adjust to the ammo you are using. HV stays best though.
    7. Bolt hold open after last round
    8. Had an issue, backup service no problem (more details below)

Cons:

1. Ammo finicky (settled on Winchester super X’s for now – stay away from the lead stuff)
    2. Expensive mags, and lack of lower round capacity mag availability
    3. Not a “real” AR, or gun for that matter as it’s a “toy”
    4. BITCH to clean properly (more on that below)
    5. To be dead honest, I have not looked at adding another type stock, but as I hear you can add some aftermarket goodies to it.
    6. Kakish trigger, if that really bugs you. I am not phased by it at this stage though
    7. Some purely cosmetic add-ons that have buggerall to do with the actual working of the gun such as the fake bolt release and a useless dust cover.
    8. 180 degree safety

I am sure you can add some more if you have one or even if you do not have one.

My reason for buying this Colt was that I wanted a cheap way to compete in matches, whilst still keeping me above the bankruptcy level. I have used it for the Pretoria Steel challenge and am using it at other shooting days.

To see the manual go on this link:

http://cdn1.waltherarms.com/wp-conte...fire-10R11.pdf

To start off with I used Remington Thunderbolts and they ran ok for about 3 or 4 mags when I just got it and had no more time to play around with it. So off I go to a shoot about a month later and I am getting light strikes, FTF etc etc. Not much fun. Gave it another good clean that night. My mistake, should have done that the night before.

The next day was my 1st steel challenge in Pretoria. So I pop into S & O and purchase 2 packets of Winchester Super X and try them on the practice range. They run fine, but seeing I did not buy that many I try the Thunderbolts again and they are ok, giving a few issues, but I could live with it. I had the TRS 25 set up and that morning on the practice range I see the riser is loose, so I want to tighten it and break the (cheapie) riser. I remove the riser and I decide to shoot open sights after shooting a few sighters (to my detriment – Outer limits ate me alive that day).
    Starting to shoot and the Thunderbolts are giving lots of issues - FTE, FTF but no light strikes this time. The Winchesters are doing the job. Last stage I have massive issues with the Thunderbolts and I still have a few Winchesters left so I can finish with them.

For my 1st steel challenge I did ok, but next time will be way better as I will be better prepared

So then, on to cleaning…
    It’s a pain in the ass to be honest, I like my guns clean, and this one has all corners and tight spaces where I cannot reach with my thick fingers. I remove the flash hider to get the bore snake through, bump the barrel somewhere and out falls a little spring (check part 2 of the videos below 2:30 and 3:30 it is discussed and shown at length).

Now if you have read up on the weapon you will know that the barrel is just a thin tube basically inside a thicker tube posing at the barrel. The actual barrel is loose within this cosmetic tube and when you remove the flash hider, you can push this loose barrel into the chamber area, where just below the barrel this little spring sits. The spring itself has to do with the workings of the bolt hold open when the mag is empty.

After watching a few YouTube videos on how to completely disassemble the weapon (voiding the warranty) I decide to take it back to the shop where I bought it. My lucky day as I see that one of the reps from the importer/ agent is parked outside. Chatted to the guys and the rep in store and I get referred to my local GS (also gunsmith) where the spring will be inserted again for me at no charge.
    To clean, you remove the pins for the upper / lower disassembly and you then have basically 2 solid pieces in your hands.

Here is the official cleaning video from the Walther website.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=faLR_JYEIvg

Following this process, you will never be able to clean it sufficiently. Cleaning the lower is easy as pie, but the business end is really difficult to clean. Short of voiding the warranty, it’s not possible in my opinion.

To see the process to follow to dismantle the rifle view a few clips on the links below. This is obviously the non authorised manner in doing things. It’s a schlep but not higher grade maths.
    Part 1 -
    Part 2 -
    Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=O7Z0s8dIXEU

There are other ones available online as well, but this is a nice clear version. I have the SPR M16, but the basics are the same.

In closing, am I unhappy I bought it? Not yet. It’s let me down a few times due to ammo related issues and because I just could not get it clean. But these are lessons learned and I can move forward from here.

Now just some more practise with it and I can become more competitive.

Thanks for reading

User

Default Re: Colt M16 SPR .22 - Review

Thanks for the review. Informative and with the most pertinent pros and cons.

User

Nice write-up

User

Thank you gents

User

Awesome write up thank you

Have bought the exact same and waiting on my license. Its "in consideration" at the moment

I really cant wait. Hope the spring issue doesn't happen to me I will watch the video to try and avoid it

User

Just some more feedback.

Ran a few mags of the Winchester 555 this weekend. Also ran great, no issues.

Cleaned the SPR in the non approved way and its very easy.

User

Nice write up.

Nice review DJ, the problem with mine is repeated light strikes after 300-400 rounds, there is no real quick fix unless you perform a full strip and clean of the bolt, runs great with Highland High impact / Guerilla Hi Vel. Then I noticed the bolt buffer, behind the hammer was taking a beating, and proceeded to tighten the recoil spring adjuster under the cocking handle with an allen key to slow the bolt down, went in about halfway and to my horror I felt the grub screw slipping in the thread, meaning it just stripped it out of the soft pot metal casing. Turns out that the two parts don't align properly so the threads don't line up either, leading to cross threading/stripping. My experience overall, they are very accurate, notchy trigger I can live with, ammo fussy and now stuck on Hi Vel only. Upper fits tightly to the lower, no play there at all, the SPR feels nice and solid, not the case on my M4 version of the same rifle, you could easily fit a business card between them with room to spare. SPR has 180 degree safety as you stated, M4 has 90 degree safety. The SPR firing pin cannot be removed from the bolt without drilling out a crosspin, it appears that it can only be removed from the side it was put in from. The M4 version has a removable firing pin that is easy to clean, and is probably a newer design.

Happy shooting Fella's

User

Thanks Tim,

I will look out for that. I have the screw a few turns in at this stage. Only after going to a bit hotter ammo. Runs fine like that however. I will not tinker with it that much - thanks for the warning.

Any news on those 10 round mags?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Vier View Post
    Thanks Tim,

I will look out for that. I have the screw a few turns in at this stage. Only after going to a bit hotter ammo. Runs fine like that however. I will not tinker with it that much - thanks for the warning.

Any news on those 10 round mags?
    Got about 25 on the way, along with 50 of the 20rd mags, got your name down for them, will let you know as soon as they arrive.

Regards

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast