Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Review : DPMS G2 Recon

honestly, I would highly recommend these rifles be sold by default without the AAC Blackout flash hider, removed (or at the least have the AAC's ROCKSET cracked for you) by Hailstorm at their shop from the get-go;
    and rather have the PWS FSC30 attached.

just came back from the range after installing the FSC30.
    I at first had it timed between 1-2oclock, but tightened it to perfect 12oclock instead.
    it made no difference in POI after removing the AAC and using the FSC30. for example, the BCM mod0 I had on the NEA, made a massive POI change, even inbetween using different timing positions.

the G2 + FSC30.... feels like cheating, like a video game. it's stupidly easy hitting steel plates at 50m while standing, all 5 were moving/swinging at the same time. even the old man managed the same.
    an absolute adrenaline rush! think of the sheer fun you have with a 15-22.... now put it in a 308 calibre.

User

User

had quite a few FTF's on Sunday, about 4-5 per mag. bolt goes into battery, pull trigger and hear hammer drop, round just sits in the mag.
    with the factory and pmag25.

even the factory mag rarely holds the bolt open, definitely going to "sacrifice" one of my pmags to see if modifying the follower actually works.

also, the BCG shows no sign of getting easier to manually manipulate, even with different amounts of oil. upon "investigation" of possible causes.... i noticed on sunday how very very rough the BCG's finish is.
    it's as if there's a matte/rough paint finish on the BCG. wiping the BCG with a paper towl, leaves paper residue on the BCG, as if it's sticky.
    could this cause the bolt to stick when it's in battery?
    or should the gas rings just be run in more?

I'm considering saving up and have the everything (except the rail) cerakoted at numenor. i have absolutely no problem racking the cerakoted NEA. smooth and doest stick at all.

all-in-all, still very impressed with the accuracy and how balanced it is. how easy it is to point and aim, and hold on target. it's sliiiightly heavy compared to a lightweight AR15 yes, but it stays dead still on target (50-100m) while standing.
    it "feels" as if the FAL swayed a bit, not as balanced as the G2.

User

So cool to just have you do all the heavy lifting while my application is still in...
    When I get it I'll know exactly what to look for. Thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KingMST View Post
    So cool to just have you do all the heavy lifting while my application is still in...
    When I get it I'll know exactly what to look for. Thanks.

1) ask hailstorm to crack the flash-hider's rockset for you. even if you're not planning on changing it out, you might later on and then you're screwed.
    2) get a PWS FSC30
    3) get a stock with a check rest, like the magpul STR
    4) get panels for the rail, they are very rough/sharp (or use gloves).
    5) lots and lots of ammo :P

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Lian, is this commercial spec?

User

Quote Originally Posted by KingMST View Post
    Lian, is this commercial spec?

Yup.
    my STR had a sliiight wobble, but i put some layers of masking tape on the sides of the buffer tube :P

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    1) ask hailstorm to crack the flash-hider's rockset for you. even if you're not planning on changing it out, you might later on and then you're screwed.
    2) get a PWS FSC30
    4) get panels for the rail, they are very rough/sharp (or use gloves).
    5) lots and lots of ammo :P
    We do not have a proper barrel extension wrench to enable the risk free removal of the AAC flash hider. I will not try to take it off by clamping the upper in a vice block as I am quite sure it will result in receiver damage.

If KingMST is ok with removal of the hand guard and clamping of the barrel with a barrel vice clamp we can try that.

The AAC FH socket/tool is currently with another customer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    We do not have a proper barrel extension wrench to enable the risk free removal of the AAC flash hider. I will not try to take it off by clamping the upper in a vice block as I am quite sure it will result in receiver damage.

If KingMST is ok with removal of the hand guard and clamping of the barrel with a barrel vice clamp we can try that.

The AAC FH socket/tool is currently with another customer.
    What I am okay with is your judgement...
    I'd like to fit a comp. to this gun so I would really appreciate it if you could take the stock flash hider off for me.

App still shows as "received at CFR" so I'm not really in a rush, whenever you have time please.

I also need to come get the charging handle so that I can get started with the ambi handle design.

User

please be aware, the spring is very strong. so, charging it easily with just your forefinger and thumb by grabbing the one ear only.... is borderline impossible.
    you almost have to grab both ears of the charging handle to get a good and proper grip on it. even so, you can see clear scuff marks on the one side of my c/h.

it's easy to charge an AR15 with the raptor c/h, so easy you can simply grab the one ear and charge it. hence, the ears have wide/long contact surfaces.... so that you only have to use one ear to charge it.
    such large surfaces, might be a detriment if you have to use both use both ears in your grip, on the G2.....

for "dual-ear" use, maybe play around with a "thinner" surface than say the stock raptor c/h, maybe with decently rounded edges?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast