Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Is becoming a Collector for me?

Gentleman, I would like to determine if becoming a member of a SAAACA is for me or not.

I have a keen interest in history in general; including small arms, UDF in the Somme during WW1 and North Africa during WW2, but especially the early development of the dedicated individual marksman as appose to the "volley" infantry we see early 1800s. This development of the marksman is directly linked to the evolvement/development in small arms.

I would like to start expanding on my "collection" of specific fire arms, but at this stage it is only a hobby for me.

I also already have dedicated hunter and dedicated sport shooter status.

Here in lies my problem - do I license future fire arms under my existing dedicated status or do I become a collector?

Please advise

Banned

Default Re: Is becoming a Collector for me?

Collector status is said to make things a little easier; it is also just logic to become a collector when you want to start collecting.

User

It is a loy more work than dedicated status but once you have done the work your licences go through the system easily.

Check this thread: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ector-s-status

Quote Originally Posted by vratvark View Post
    Gentleman, I would like to determine if becoming a member of a SAAACA is for me or not.

I have a keen interest in history in general; including small arms, UDF in the Somme during WW1 and North Africa during WW2, but especially the early development of the dedicated individual marksman as appose to the "volley" infantry we see early 1800s. This development of the marksman is directly linked to the evolvement/development in small arms.

I would like to start expanding on my "collection" of specific fire arms, but at this stage it is only a hobby for me.

I also already have dedicated hunter and dedicated sport shooter status.

Here in lies my problem - do I license future fire arms under my existing dedicated status or do I become a collector?

Please advise
    By the sound of things, your profile is typically that of a collector. Contact me off line for more information if you wish.

User

Thank you gentleman for you replies.

@WZ - I would definitely like more information an will pm you as requested.

User

WZ, the following, with due respect.

I'm a bit confused by what I'm reading. I get the perception that Collectors are like an old boys club. I'm with Kayback here. I've got little interest in pistols or revolvers. I use them for sport and SD. Licensed as such. (Have both dedicated hunters and sport and come from the Bona Fide era).

I've had training in the Army and plenty of trigger time on the R1 and to a lesser extent on the R4. From my first purchase of an AR type rifle for sport, a Schmeisser, the modularity concept opened a new world. I specifically bought the Schmeisser because it boasts good accuracy for the AR type platform. Subsequently I also bought a 15/22 for it's AR type look and feel, although not a proper AR upper/lower config. The following purchase was rather special for me for the connotation to my R1 days. Here I could finally find a 7,62x51 that was build for accuracy, yet on the modular AR type platform. The DPMS REPR.

Just yesterday, I reserved one of the new CMMG MK47 Mutant rifles. An AK(read 7,62x39) offering based on the AR type platform and boasting very, very good accuracy for said caliber. I'm not done yet. The 6,5 Creedmore also boasts very good accuracy on the modular AR type platform.

See the common dominators?

Yet, from what I read in this thread, this type of theme is heavily frowned upon and mostly, no definitely discouraged. And anyway, boet, you will first have to study and spend a couple of years collecting stuff, you don't have any interest in. Then we will decide.

WTF?

Sorry, this just does not make sense to me.

Sure with a lot of effort, dedication and lawyer fees, I'll get the new ones licensed for sport. But I can only motivate so many backup guns for each discipline.

Rather ridiculous if I may say, for me to have to take this route, especially seen that I'm actually buying rifles, because of a specific interest.

Sounds much like collecting. No?

User

"I get the perception that Collectors are like an old boys club"
    GF, with respect, your perceptions are wrong.
    Membership of all the collector's associations are weighted heavily on the over 40/50 year age group but, without exception, they regularly and repeatedly attempt to lure/nurture/mentor youngsters into collecting. I serve on SAAACA, G Cat B and A committees as well as ExCo and this subject gets discussed regularly - as well as interviewing and mentoring aspirant members, young and not so young.
    Some people criticize us for our largely Caucasian membership. Have we tried to address that - of course - but find very few takers. Remember also that many of our members don't collect firearms - some are drawn to medals, swords, bayonets etc. etc. which are totally unregulated. Lucky them. By the same token many of us collect relatively few (but very special, military ad civilian firearms) but spend inordinate amounts of time and money on finding and acquiring accessories for them so as to build a world-class collection.
    I don't mind anyone calling me an old fart at 66 but please lay off the associations - SAAACA,G is 21 years old this year. It is largely run by wiser/more experienced heads than your average 20 year old but does include some 30ish males and females.

Game Farmer,

Perhaps the time has come to be brutally direct about matters. Please do not take this personally (although I did note that your post was rather more confrontational in tone than by way of the nature of an enquiry) but here is the bottom line: It is what it is and there are good reasons for it; collectors do not owe a justification or explanation to you or anybody else for the way they have established their rules and organisations. It is kind of like shooting IDPA: Don't like the rules? Then find somewhere else that you think suits you better.

Further, if you think a desire to accumulate a number of modern semiautomatic assault type rifles makes for a collector, you are sadly mistaken. There is far more to it than that.

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    WZ, the following, with due respect.

I'm a bit confused by what I'm reading. I get the perception that Collectors are like an old boys club. I'm with Kayback here. I've got little interest in pistols or revolvers. I use them for sport and SD. Licensed as such. (Have both dedicated hunters and sport and come from the Bona Fide era).

I've had training in the Army and plenty of trigger time on the R1 and to a lesser extent on the R4. From my first purchase of an AR type rifle for sport, a Schmeisser, the modularity concept opened a new world. I specifically bought the Schmeisser because it boasts good accuracy for the AR type platform. Subsequently I also bought a 15/22 for it's AR type look and feel, although not a proper AR upper/lower config. The following purchase was rather special for me for the connotation to my R1 days. Here I could finally find a 7,62x51 that was build for accuracy, yet on the modular AR type platform. The DPMS REPR.

Just yesterday, I reserved one of the new CMMG MK47 Mutant rifles. An AK(read 7,62x39) offering based on the AR type platform and boasting very, very good accuracy for said caliber. I'm not done yet. The 6,5 Creedmore also boasts very good accuracy on the modular AR type platform.

See the common dominators?

Yet, from what I read in this thread, this type of theme is heavily frowned upon and mostly, no definitely discouraged. And anyway, boet, you will first have to study and spend a couple of years collecting stuff, you don't have any interest in. Then we will decide.

WTF?

Sorry, this just does not make sense to me.

Sure with a lot of effort, dedication and lawyer fees, I'll get the new ones licensed for sport. But I can only motivate so many backup guns for each discipline.

Rather ridiculous if I may say, for me to have to take this route, especially seen that I'm actually buying rifles, because of a specific interest.

Sounds much like collecting. No?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Peter, you are my senior, but not by much.

I'm not criticising the associations. It is the criteria and how someone else decide what I want to collect. If someone wants to collect knives, do you first force him to study and collect slingshots. Off course not. That will be absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Further, if you think a desire to accumulate a number of modern semiautomatic assault type rifles makes for a collector, you are sadly mistaken. There is far more to it than that.
    WZ,

I'm not taking it personally, neither should you.

The definition of a collector is obviously then above me. Surely one starts somewhere and the first step is to start collecting. Not get Cum Laude and then collect. The 'far more to it than that' intrigues me. It genuinely does.

But, I can see the writing on the wall. Especially the 'if you don't like the rules, find another game'.

Thanks for the information.

User

Keep in mind that your collecting "Theme" need not be old. My wife collects "Polymer framed handguns chambered for 9mm". That, by definition, is a "modern" theme as the oldest gun cannot have been manufactured before 1970.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast