Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which 7mm?

User

Default Which 7mm?

The groups on my rifle are starting to open up a bit, and I now find that I get better accuracy with longer bullets when the bullet is seated closer to the lands. I'm wondering if these are signs that the barrel is giving in, and it is time to re-barrel?

I will get the barrel checked out, and if the throat is worn, then I will probably re-barrel. What is on my mind now, is that the rifle is currently chambered in 7x64, and the license card just says 7mm as the caliber, so theoretically, I can re-barrel and cut a chamber to anything I like, 7mm08. 7x64, 280 Rem, 280AI, 7mm Tombi. The long action should fit any of those.

I've noticed over the years, where most of my hunting is Karoo, that most of the animals I shoot are between 200 and 400m, so I quite fancy the idea of going up to 280AI for a little extra legs, and I can just fireform my old brass to fit. Any thoughts on a 280AI, or are there better 7mm options out there.

User

Default Re: Which 7mm?

New barrel means new license. There is now way around that. The new license will have to display what cartridge the barrel is chambered for

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

You have all the equipment to reload the 7x64. Why not stick with it and avoid new purchases, fire forming and difficulty in getting cases.

User

I like the 280 Rem cartridge. The AI version can't be worse. The 7x64 has a little more case capacity than the 280, probably close to the 280AI, but with normal shoulder angles and body taper. Performance should be similar. The next step up is the 7mmRM and for all the extra powder, noise and barrel wear you only gain a few feet in MV. Not my taste.

Stick with what you have and save the cost of new dies, cases etc. Or get adventurous and explore new territory. Whatever makes your pulse race is the right choice.

User

Before you re-barrel, have the barrel set back and re-chambered. This should give you somewhere between 300 and 500 more accurate shots.

I had to renew my 7x57 license recently. Caliber on license card stated just 7mm, I had to get a gunsmith report stating the actual cartridge the rifle was chambered for before the renewal process could start.

If I had to build a 7mm rifle from scratch now it would be a .280AI.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Before you re-barrel, have the barrel set back and re-chambered. This should give you somewhere between 300 and 500 more accurate shots.

I had to renew my 7x57 license recently. Caliber on license card stated just 7mm, I had to get a gunsmith report stating the actual cartridge the rifle was chambered for before the renewal process could start.

If I had to build a 7mm rifle from scratch now it would be a .280AI.
    I had a similar problem with my 7 mm rem mag. Was originally licenced as a 7 mm. Took 6 months to sort it out.

User

Any reason you're not looking at the 7mm SAUM?

Banned

Get your local gun guy to recut the chamber, just had my .270 recut - I had eaten 7 mm away at the throat of chamber.

User

There will more than likely be a "preference" on the SAPS system against your rifle because the licence just says 7mm. As soon as you try to do anything with it that requires SAPS involvement; like sell it, renew the licence, rechamber etc; your paperwork will be blocked until you have updated their system by submitting an SAPS521(g) and gunsmith report that correctly identifies the calibre.

I would have the barrel set back & chamber recut as per TStone's suggestion and while I was about it I would submit the paperwork to have the calibre correctly and fully identified on the systemm so that you don't struggle with it later.

Any "upgrade" on a 7x64 would probably be more of a psychological thing than a real practical thing. Before you think too much about rechambering, calculate what the difference in Point of Impact, velocity etc will be for 7x64 vs 280AI or even 7mmRM at 400 metres then ask yourself if that difference will really kill the animal any deader than the 7x64 that you're already set up for with reloading dies, cases etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Any reason you're not looking at the 7mm SAUM?
    Would that require bolt work due to a different cartridge head diameter?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast