Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Interchangeable barrel systems. Any one have expeirence relating to this.

So, I've done a search on the site, and I am not finding any results, which leads me to believe that I am doing something wrong, as I suspect that it may have been discussed before. Non the less, I'm posting my question in any case.

If everything works out I will be in a Position to treat myself to a hunting rifle next year this time. For a variety of reasons I don't want a Howa/Savage type gun for this particular purchase. I know those guns are great but I am looking to treat myself to something Special that can become a heirloom some day.

Currently, Sako, Tikka and Haenel are right up there, but I have been drawn to the Mauser M03 and Sauer 202, both of which have a Switch Barrel System. They cost more, but I'm willing to save up for them. I am really drawn to the Mauser M03 Solid in 6,5x55 or the Basic in 7x64.

I plan to handle all of the firearms during the next couple of months before I make a final decision.

From the outset with my buckets full of inexperience, I like the idea of a Switch Barrel System for the following reasons:
    a. I can have a Quality rifle that fits me perfectly, in all my Favorite calibres.
    b. New Barrels cost less than a new rifle.

My worries:
    a. My Caveman line of thinking tells me that something that can easily be taken apart and put back together again is "weaker" than something that is solid. Does this apply to Switch barrel Systems?

I look Forward to Hearing about your views.

PS Skaaphaas and other Mods: I appologize for the random capital letters and weird spelling. The PC I am sending this from is German and is very resilient against my attempts to rectify the matter.

User

Default Re: Interchangeable barrel systems. Any one have expeirence relating to this.

Go and have a look at the new Thompson Contender. Nice looking rifle and well priced.

User

Default Re: Interchangeable barrel systems. Any one have expeirence relating to this.

I personally don't like the concept.

When you buy different rifles you can scope each one for a specific use.
    When on a hunting trip if something goes wrong with the action you have no working rifle.
    When you have 2 sons you only have one family heirloom.
    When you buy several calibers you can buy different stock styles, or different customizations.

When you hunt you can only carry one, and that concept applies for normal rifles or interchangeables.

User

I have a SHR 970 with 3 interchangable barrels.Quite a shelp to rezero every barrel with a scope everytime you change it..3 Howas are better than any system..My SHR 970 is for sale with a 308 bull barrel , 30-06 and 9.3x62 with 4 mags at 35k. Includes 2 stocks, I custom Fibreglass Stock..

User

Have a look at Blaser, their scope mountings are on the barrel which detaches from the system so you do not need to zero your one scope every time.

User

Socrates.

I was looking to buy the M03 a couple of weeks back. Awesome rifle and beatiful. With the Mauser quick release systems changing scopes is a breeze so you wont have to rezero the scope every time you shoot. Just be aware that there is allot of hidden costs involved. Different calibres might require different mags and bolt faces. The quick release scope mounts dont come cheap either. I did the sum with an 6.5x55 and a 375 H&H with the nice leather carry bag etc and it added up to R 65 000. And that was before the Rand lost it against the Euro.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Go and have a look at the new Thompson Contender. Nice looking rifle and well priced.
    I had a look. Quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I personally don't like the concept.

When you buy different rifles you can scope each one for a specific use.
    When on a hunting trip if something goes wrong with the action you have no working rifle.
    When you have 2 sons you only have one family heirloom.
    When you buy several calibers you can buy different stock styles, or different customizations.

When you hunt you can only carry one, and that concept applies for normal rifles or interchangeables.
    Thanks for your Input. I did not consider the posibility of something going wrong with the Action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Have a look at Blaser, their scope mountings are on the barrel which detaches from the system so you do not need to zero your one scope every time.
    I had a look at the Blaser. I don't like the straight pull bolt and that the Magazine is part of the Trigger guard assembly. I will however fondle one when I have a Chance before I make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalk van Wyk View Post
    Socrates.

I was looking to buy the M03 a couple of weeks back. Awesome rifle and beatiful. With the Mauser quick release systems changing scopes is a breeze so you wont have to rezero the scope every time you shoot. Just be aware that there is allot of hidden costs involved. Different calibres might require different mags and bolt faces. The quick release scope mounts dont come cheap either. I did the sum with an 6.5x55 and a 375 H&H with the nice leather carry bag etc and it added up to R 65 000. And that was before the Rand lost it against the Euro.
    I saw what you mean about the cost. The scope Mounts cost a pretty penny each.

I do think that Messor has a valid Point about diffrent stock Designs. I may just spend the Money of one MO3 with two calibres and buy a Haenel and Tikka and later treat myself to a Sako.

User

For the price of one M03 you can almost buy two M12's.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Schalk van Wyk View Post
    For the price of one M03 you can almost buy two M12's.
    I really liked the M12. My only Problem with it is that the Barrel is sweated into the Receiver and not threaded. From what I understand, this makes it impossible to Change Barrels should there be a Need to do so, which leaves you with a very nice but useless Reciever.

User

Very true. But the quality steel used in a Mauser barrel is excellent. I you dont take it to the range every weekend and fire a 100 shots it will last longer than the person shooting it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast