Lessons from Brazil

Let me give an example that appears to be totally ignored.

Brazil had a problem with the incursions of gun control. While government had DECIDED to implement more strict gun control the government also had to ask the people, the citizens of Brazil to find out what they want. From public support of gun control found by SURVEYS government was happy and wanted to bypass this referendum.

Both firearm organisations and gun control spent a fortune on "advertising" and lobbying the people to make the "right" decision.

The Brazilians did and government had NO CHOICE but to abide by that decision. Not for any reason of law but common sense that should they steam-roller a law that was not wanted this will turn to loss of votes.
No more, no less.

Do the gun control organisations now go home and leave Brazil alone to live happy ever after or do they continue to work?

Do the Brazilian firearm organisation give any hope of actually understanding why it worked? Are they sitting waiting for the next fight thinking they have won and that is all there is to it.

Did they win because the public felt safe with the knowledge that firearms presented no danger to them? Or because they convinced government with reason and logic and telling the pubic firearm owners are good guys and have rights.

Why did it work?

o No government will buck public opinion.
o No government will ignore public opinion
o No government wants to be voted out or even lose 1% of popularity.

What have you got to be very aware of

o Any government can and will do as it wants if supported by the public.

Want some examples? No, thought not but you need reminding. Think Hitler, Stalin, Mao... and you will get the idea of what governments can and will do with public support. So how much trouble will it be for government to tell firearm owners to buzz off and treat them with contempt? Who will object and who will say I agree? Count them because government will.

All you need do is say nothing and government has the answer. Silence is agreement. Government can count and will. All you need do is not stand up and say, no way, buzz off. You get counted, those who sit in silence doing nothing are not part of the no vote. They are part of the yes I agree with government vote because they will not say no.

When 60% of blacks SAY they support a complete ban of firearms and 38% of whites agree then firearm owners have only one choice if they wish to see continued firearm ownership.

You can ignore that and pretend it makes no difference or you can do something that will make a difference. Say I agree when needed and say bullshit when needed.

Want to do more, use your imagination.

Can you speak up when needed. Do it.
Can you stick a bumper sticker on your vehicle
Can you print a leaflet.
Can you hand out a leaflet
Can you stick up a notice at your club
Can you sing
Can you write songs
Can you draw or paint
Can you talk to your friends and discuss public education for the right reasons?
Can you write five lines and say nicely you are wrong if needed
Can you write five lines and say nicely you are right when needed
Do you have internet access and can post I agree or buzz off when needed
Do you have any friends you can email good material to for them to distribute.
Do you twitter, facebook or social network
Do you have some spare hard earned cash you are willing to donate to a good cause.
Do you have a few minutes spare so you can scan a newspaper or magazine and report any incursions of firearm owners IMAGE. Not crime, IMAGE.

There must be hundreds of things anyone can do but they have to want to or nothing gets done and we say good bye to firearm ownership. One person cannot do all these things, it takes many equally important and
vital to success to lighten the load.

Don't say I don't know what to do. Do what you can and feel comfortable with, that is all that is needed. If you want to wait or trust in the failed methods, do let me know how this works out for you. So far it has been a catastrophic and abysmal failure allowing the removal of more than 30% of firearm owners who are never coming to the aid of this fight or spending money with dealers.

The biggest influences on the government and public was the letters and pamphlet campaigns of SAFF and the Black Gunowners marching in the streets because government can count and knows that TV coverage will gain sympathy from VOTERS. But you can do as well as any of these by speaking out, raising your voice and saying no in any way possible. By helping those who stick their necks out in public by giving them support by saying yes I agree. By telling those who promote hate and fear of guns to buzz off they are a danger to public safety. It's not difficult, it just requires will power and the desire to do it. And it is never wasted effort. Every one has a place and vital role to play and are equally as important and valuable as the person who is seen by the public as a spokesperson. They need support and encouragement as well.

Never forget the pubic is ALWAYS watching. Just the way the public are watching the majority of firearm owners do and say nothing and agree with them firearms should be banned because guns are a danger to the public. If you don't say no, silence is agreement because you WILL NOT SAY NO.

All that is needed is the right message of reassuring the public at every opportunity in any way possible that firearms are not the problem, criminals are. That crime cannot decrease while government wastes money, time and manpower by misdirecting the SAPS. Nor can the SAPS solve and punish crime while they chase guns instead of criminals. Who pulls the trigger, guns or criminals?

These will not work if only a few no voices are ever heard. Firearm owners need to take responsibility for protection of what they want. This cannot be subcontracted to somebody else. How difficult is saying yes or no at the right time?

It's a simple question of what do you want and nothing comes for free. Even yes or no takes will to make a decision and the effort and breath to say it. Can you and will you that is the question. How much do you value your safety and that of your loved ones? Enough to say yes or no when needed?