Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Giraffe dies, hits head on bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Nah, rD, wasn't directed at you. I'm just surprised at the amount of vitriol directed at owner/driver/seller/some guy that had something to do with this giraffe yet most of us see babies sitting on a passenger's lap quite often. Some of those babies die needlessly. We want to do all sorts of things to the giraffe people but drive by the people endangering the innocent(!) baby without doing anything. So the question is really this: Have we become so desensitized to loss of human life that we shrug our shoulders but then get all barking mad when one giraffe gets it? Is that right?

(And no, I don't think what happened to the giraffe is fine and dandy, before any members accuse me of that. I'm just musing on the human condition.)
    Nice post.
    Sadly it's true.

User

I feel sorry for the giraffe and as for the idiots that were negligent in this regards, I rather not say, cause I am in no mood to get vulgar.

Because its Friday, here is a little humour:

They should have used the Zebra crossing.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Nah, rD, wasn't directed at you. I'm just surprised at the amount of vitriol directed at owner/driver/seller/some guy that had something to do with this giraffe yet most of us see babies sitting on a passenger's lap quite often. Some of those babies die needlessly. We want to do all sorts of things to the giraffe people but drive by the people endangering the innocent(!) baby without doing anything. So the question is really this: Have we become so desensitized to loss of human life that we shrug our shoulders but then get all barking mad when one giraffe gets it? Is that right?

(And no, I don't think what happened to the giraffe is fine and dandy, before any members accuse me of that. I'm just musing on the human condition.)
    You are more than likely correct about us being desensitized to the loss of human life.

I think the fact that the mother/father who holds the baby on his/her lap can plan and the Giraffe (notice the upper-case there) is subjected to the driver/manager/owner's planning makes it worse for me.
    The Giraffe had no chance when the baby had a chance through his/her direct family (I would hope).

Another point is that the person responsible for the baby's death can get charged with manslaughter etc. where as the person responsible for the Giraffe's death might get a fine if anything actually happens.

So my anger is directed at the unfairness of the situation and how some stupid idiot caused it.
    Similar to lets say caged Lion hunting - that hunter/owner/whatever should be caged for Lions to hunt him/her a bit!

R.I.P.

This was just an unfortunate incident of extreme bridge dodging gone wrong. The real problem is that too many giraffes are adrenaline junkies nowadays.

User

As long as they lay off the bungee jumping.

Game capture teams, I've dealt with a lot of them, and still do, there are some really good ones but some of them kill more animals in a year than I do when hunting. Dealing with game capture is the one part of my job that I really hate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3