Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default My FN/R1 refurbishment project

As some might know by now I opted to buy a FN FAL that has not been refurbished in any way. I got this particular rifle at a real bargain price compared to the R15000 to R20000 refurbished ones that go for sale these days. Now let me put it clear. And very clear also. Before my throat gets cut off and flown into. This was done at a very highly risky choice. Take my advice, Never buy it if you do not inspect the bore and headspace etc yourself. It will and can be a disaster of note.....

Unless you have a good friend, like pistolboy that knows his stuff. If it was not for him this would not of been possible. Anyway, long story short. He had a look for me (I live 1200KM away), inspected the rifle, checked the normal signs and things on a FN that needs to be checked, even fired the rifle on his expense to make sure all is well for me. Give him a bells! in fact a case. Never the less, green light was given. Barrel is in a very good condition according to him.... Well we will get there soon regarding this....... as well as other parts and headspace etc. I made the purchase. Yipeee!!!! I have a FN/R1 finally!!!!!

My FN has the later type 3 receiver which means it is one of the last FN rifles produced in Belgium. Am I right in saying this? seems to me the case though.... As many people admit the type 3 is the way to go. All of our FN fold up stock rifle at my unit (SAPS issue) are all type 3 for those that are interested. It just makes it closer to home....

A few odds and ends were purchased from die ou dae on bid or buy as well as from certain members on this forum that was willing to help me with this project and really went OUT OF THEIR WAY doing this. Now this is what I call customer service. Going the extra mile. And a bit further.... Alot further than some I know without getting a unhelpful and unwillingness reply..... That goes along way.....

Before pics:

To this:

Yes more potos are outstanding will be added in due time.
    In all. My point is, If you do find the right good condition FN a self DIY project can be done. I would like to take his opportunity to thnk pistolboy once again, I want to thank Andy Fuller from From Fuller Firearms, Homtini, Rheenendal, Knysna for helping me. Infact, He could not believe the excellent condition of the barrel ( almost no wear at all virtually brand new) and headspace, for all his trouble and effort put into my rifle. I went to put a few rounds through it and not one hic upp whatsoever! Only problem is feeding time will be expensive..... But then again we are all if not mostly men and we must eat.....

So yes, for under R10000 all this is possible. Hence you find the right FN and willing to put some loving time and effort into your baby. It just makes it so much more worth it.

This topic has not been made to down shoot dealers selling refurbished FN/R1 rifles but mere a topic for DIY and loving effort into the rifle itself. It makes it more special!!!!! And its all mine!!!!!

After talking to Andy he reckons my FN was carried allot but hardly even used. Seen action but more carried than anything else.

Oh,,, I like the grey finish more than the odd greeen.......

Hopefully we will see more projects like this!!!
    BTW, she is not totally finished yet. still odds and ends that needs to be done.

To be continued.....
    Last edited by WILDCARD; 02-08-2014 at 23:01. Reason: speling

User

Default Re: My FN/R1 refurbishment project

Wowi, what a difference after the touch up! Very very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing

User

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Wowi, what a difference after the touch up! Very very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing
    Thanks ravingDIODE. It just makes it so much better.

Looks really nice,are the lower and upper recievers from different rifles. Likewise with the bolt does the serial number match.

User

Thank you for sharing

As far as I know the army issue serial numbers match but I don't know if the factory serial numbers match. Wildcard please assist.

User

The bolt carrier and receiver numbers match also.
    This is indeed one unique rifle I think.
    I have noticed on many occasions that some FN rifles have mismatched numbers.

User

Very nice end result.

Keep an eye on BOB, Dieoudae sometimes have the front sling swivel and band. A carry handle will finish her off nicely, when you get one.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Dude, that looks sweet. Keep us posted and pics when Ou finally take her to the range

very nice bud now im all jelous.... what a machine and looks so good.dylan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast