User

Default Standardizing Calibres

Just something I have been playing around with in my head. At the moment I shoot nine forty and forty five. I am considering replacing the forty with either another nine or another 45. My logic is that while I think forty is a fine calibre I dont know if FOR ME it does anything that nine or 45 doesnt. I think that by reducing the number of calibres I shoot it may ease logistics. When buying carry ammo or reloading. components I can buy bigger bulk in two calibres rather than three. Just wondering your thoughts or if I am missing something

Default Re: Standardizing Calibres

Interesting question. I agree that it could ease logistics. I basically just have 9's but I am in the process of adding a 45 and it does add additional things to deal with. Lets approach this from another angle. Forget for a moment about legal issues and the law. What would your approach be regarding a backup gun? My approach would be to carry a G17 or G19 with a G26 as a backup. The reason being that I can use the same ammo in both and the spare mags for the 17/19 will work in the 26. My take is to get a system for SD and daily carry, get it sorted out and stick with it. Yes, no problem with getting other toy's but get the main SD gun/caliber/ammo sorted out.

The additional calibers adds additional dedication/commitment/effort/money into the mixture. If you are prepared to go the mile, enjoy it but if it complicates your life, get rid of it or change your approach.

Just my opinion.

I am in the process at the moment of doing exactly this. I will get handgun calibers down to 9mmP, .45acp and .22LR...in fact, except for an old Colt Police Positive in .38spl, my S&W M642 backup and a G23, I already have.

Rifles down to .22LR, 5.56 and .308 / 7.62X51.

Shotguns down to 12ga only.

Not that there are not other excellent calibers, but these get the job done for me and I have ammo in bulk for all of them now. At current prices it has become expensive to stockplie thousands of rounds but thankfully I bought back when the buying was good. ;D
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

I'm liking this idea as well. I've got a .40 that I'm not that fussed over anymore, and will definately go the 9mm route on any new purchases, however, theres always those deals that come up, and when the price is right, I'll add a Colt Commander.

As for rifle cailbres, I was trying to stick to .223 and 7.62, and seem to have got this part right, just forgot about the case length. ;)

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter