Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Huntex Cape 2014

One part answered so far:
    Ill check the online list this eve to make sure all the exhibitors are there - it sometimes doesn't update properly.
    You have asked a good question regarding the gun safety aspect. I think the organiser would like to answer you on that one. Do you have an email address I can send him? If not, we'll answer you here on fb.

User

Response:

Thank you for your email and your concern. We have spent many hours on the best way to ensure firearm safety by and for visitors to our expos.

Let me explain what we will implement:

We will not take any persons firearm from them. Visitors are and will always be welcome to bring their personal firearms to our expos. For whatever reason.
    We are responsible however to ensure the safety of everybody. While our exhibitors have strict rules to comply with which the authorities are responsible to monitor compliance, we have to make sure that weapons of visitors are safe.

1. On arrival at the expo a visitor with a firearm will go to a safe area. Either the visitor lets us know he/she has a firearm or we pick it up with a metal detector.
    2. The safe area is protected so that should a firearm be discharged there the public will not be endangered.
    3. In the safe area the owner of the firearm has to prove to us that the fire arm is unloaded. If not he/she has to unload the firearm and remove the magazine. We will not do that as it is the responsibility of the owner.
    4. We will then place a gun lock on the firearm and the person can then take it with him/her for the duration of their stay on our premises.
    5. When the person leaves we will remove the gun lock and he/she can be on his/her way safely.

We will be responsible to communicate this procedure to visitors when they arrive.

I trust this answers your query. Please feel free to comment or add anything you wish.

kind regards

Adriaan Woudstra
    Organiser/Organiseerder

User

Well I guess I wont be going then.

User

Well at least not full retard by doing it in the queues in open area.

But all that hassle combined with lack interesting/new exhibitors I will also be giving it a skip.

Quote Originally Posted by kingy View Post
    Well I guess I wont be going then.
    Ditto.

User

What a load of total BS.

Won't waste my time and money in going.

User

So you cannot even reholster your FA due to the gunlock? Or am I thinking of a different type of lock?

User

Oops, I hope this does not happen in Johannesburg next year. They might see a bit of a drop in attendance.

User

I think Joburg is the reason for this BS

User

They might as well an advert like this in the papers:

'ATTENTION ALL CRIMINALS:

If you would like a free selection of firearms, please attend our next Huntex Expo. There will be plenty of gun shops with large selections not to mention all the civilians that carry guns that will attend. We have taken it upon ourselves to render all firearms on persons to be incapable of discharge and as such no one will be able to use them to defend themselves or others. You could pick anyone at our expo as a target as there is a high chance that they will have a firearm on them, or you could target the entire expo. In fact, we might even thank you for promoting the firearms industry by increasing the number firearms sold in order to replace the ones you steal. It is a win/win!'

I understand why the organisers feel the need to be seen "doing something" to avoid a repeat but honestly it really doesn't help shooting yourself in the foot (irony intended). From what I hear it was an unfortunate incident that could have happened anywhere. I blame Murphy that it happened at a Huntex, but at the end of the day... this "solution" is going to do more damage than good.

I wonder what would happen if Murphey was to strike again and a gang actually decided to hit Huntex and no one could do anything about it because the organisers had made if a Gun "Safe" Zone?

Lastly I just want to say that doing things like this, and it goes for what they are doing at National parks also with their stupid canvass bags, is in fact putting gunowners in an illegal situation. You are supposed to be able to take reasonable steps to protect your firearm. How do they expect you to do so if you can't use the thing for the purpose you have it?

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast