Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User
    Living in Kempton Park working in Randburg

Default Re: EDC blade choice factors

Muela Blou Wildebees Boesmansgat 2014 2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by 47 View Post
    If we talk about shutting down the CNS, I’m not quite sure if it can be achieved by stabbing (or cutting) in the same way as bullet placement either (see article referred to above), possibly not even with something like a machete, katana, kukri or bowie, and much less with a 3 inch blade I would think. Beheading aside of course.
    !
    I have to Hijack your threat as you mentioned ,my newest favorite slaughtering tool, I bought a Muela Kukri and was amazed of the effectiveness of it, it will accompany me on all my hunts see the pic

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    IMHO...and I also happy to be corrected...
    Fixed blade over folder - purely because of strength of construction
    Minimum blade length 3.5 inches to be able to reach vitals (if the BG is not too fat!)
    Tanto type points for best stab penetration , actually tantos work well for slashing as well because of the "point" formed from the main blade to the tip
    Anti slip handle material....in case of blood on handle
    Shaving sharp blade

In the confrontation: Stabbing would/should only occur when grappling...I believe general consensus is to keep away from attacker if possible and slash...staying on his weak side (backhand side) slash at his knife hand/wrist/forearm and face keep circling to his weak side. Psychologically...cuts wounds and lots of blood tends to get the BG thinking about his own welfare! Quite and interesting set of DVDs is Cold Steels Knife fighting techniques....there they discuss types of knives, blades, styles, defense, attack etc...they also have training regimes to follow.
    Two things:

1 - My perception of a longer blade is to be able to extend your reach but I guess better penetration is a good point.

2 - I have read that 'storming' the attacker is a good defence?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tweedledee View Post
    2 - I have read that 'storming' the attacker is a good defence?
    It depends on your training as well as your oponent. If you can get past his defences closer is IMO better for reaching vitals.

User

It is very difficult to kill a person quickly/disable with a blade. Unless you use kukri to open his skull.
    You would need a very robust blade (and good aim) to penetrate CNS - the only way to drop the attacker instantly.
    When I worked in ICU/Theatre I used to see many slash wounds but relatively few stab ones.
    Presently, (working in the morgue) I see plenty of stabs but very few slashes.
    In both types in wounds there is almost always some time between the inflicted wound to the collapse of the stabbee (for the lack of better name).
    This means from 30s to couple of hours.
    Even perforated lungs on both sides will allow guys go on doing things (that include stabbing or shooting you) for half an hour. Doesn't matter if they die later form the exsanguination or shock. Of course some people will collapse with a minor wound, but don't count on it.
    Yesterday a guy was stabbed in the right heart ventricle. Still managed to cross busy road before collapsed. And he was not on drugs.
    The choice of blade depends on your plan and technique. I am, personally, in favor of the system and purpose of the knives as described by Bushboy, above.
    I would like to have fixed reverse blade on the support side (support hand) and folder with belly (for slashes) on the gun side.
    The stopping power of the blade is , well....., delayed. (Unless kukri)
    Mj

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marekjan View Post
    It is very difficult to kill a person quickly/disable with a blade.
    As an EMS provider for well over a decade I can assure you that it is not always difficult. I have seen people totally incapacitated by a bottle neck on more than one occasion, let me not get into the effectiveness of okapi style blades. I understand that they do not kill instantly but let me assure you they are more than capable of ending an altercation in a hurry.

I do understand this is not always the case, and could even be called the exception rather than the norm. However I have also treated to guys with axe wounds to the head/face and many with bush knife related injuries to the upper body who were generally not to much worse for wear.

I did not write this in criticism of your post, if it seems that way I apologize. Much of what you said I agree with.

User

It is true what you say. Should have been more specific and say reliably. But in majority of cases I, personally, would not count on it.
    Mj

User

I see an EDC knife as more than just a self defence tool. I carry a spyderco endura non serrated at all times. The knife gets used multiple times per day for everything from peeling oranges, cutting open boxes to removing a stuck bullet case. It would also make good SD if needed.

I have tried carrying a fully serrated version which would be a better SD weapon. Its more intimidating and will slash through heavy clothing easier. It is just less practical for everything else.

I have never carried my civilian. It is just a thing of evil beauty but impractical for most things.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marekjan View Post
    But in majority of cases I, personally, would not count on it.
    Mj
    +1 big time.

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    I see an EDC knife as more than just a self defence tool. I carry a spyderco endura non serrated at all times. The knife gets used multiple times per day for everything from peeling oranges, cutting open boxes to removing a stuck bullet case. It would also make good SD if needed.

I have tried carrying a fully serrated version which would be a better SD weapon. Its more intimidating and will slash through heavy clothing easier. It is just less practical for everything else.

I have never carried my civilian. It is just a thing of evil beauty but impractical for most things.
    Seratted blades are actually less efficient at cutting through clothing than smooth edged blades. Apparently the serations clog up with fibre and dont go deep enough. There are some good videos on youtube sshowing this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    Seratted blades are actually less efficient at cutting through clothing than smooth edged blades. Apparently the serations clog up with fibre and dont go deep enough. There are some good videos on youtube sshowing this.
    Yes. I agree. Nothing beats sharp smoothedge for most applications. After I learnt how to keep the knives sharp all serrated went to my knife box. If you use one of your EDC blades for daily cutting tasks you need to keep it sharp to be effective.
    Mj

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast