Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: EDC blade choice factors

^ I tend to agree.

Serrations do mess up meat a lot more though. I prefer a smooth edge. It's also a million times easier to keep sharp (I don't have a serration sharpening tool or kit).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    ... let me not get into the effectiveness of okapi style blades. I understand that they do not kill instantly but let me assure you they are more than capable of ending an altercation in a hurry.
    Mr Medic, would you mind giving us some "inside info"? I have heard about an Okapi stuck through a skull, and from our Swazi gardener I know that it is a favourite amongst tsotsi's . What have you seen?

User

It is generally a fairly common knife to be found on suspects/patients involved in tavern fights etc but it is not the only knives they use, now days with the huge availability of cheap Chinese assisted opening (flick knives) and folders they have a variety to choose from.

Most of my experience with them came from working in rural EMS setting. These guys think nothing of resolving a dispute with a quick knife fight. Many times I was dispatched to assault cases and found DOA (deceased on arrival) due to a single knife wound or to multiple wounds. Most times the patient would be quietly sitting there with a shirt shoved into the wound waiting, only to deteriorate en route. Other times it was more serious.

A case come to mind where we were called into a notoriously difficult township for a stabbing and on arrival found a patient in the care of SAPS, he was in a bad way, multiple superficial lacerations but there were 2 penetrating wounds to his torso. One just below right collar bone and the other low under the right armpit. I judged (read guessed) from the weapon, a modified kitchen knife, that the length of the blade meant some serious internal damage depending on the angle at which it entered. While we were busy stabilizing him another altercation broke out and a guy was stabbed in the neck with a broken bottle not even 5m from where I was crouched, it was so fast the police didn't even have a chance to intervene. That guy was dead in less than 5 minutes despite our best efforts (major vessels severed along with airway) Long story short our initial patient died, in hospital though.

Knives/sharp implements are effective and can be devastating regardless of training, this is why I am always aware and cautious in any confrontation. I am not an expert in weapons, however I am not bad with pre-hospital medicine and from what I have seen I can with confidence say NEVER underestimate a knife.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Medic View Post
    I... however I am not bad with pre-hospital medicine and from what I have seen I can with confidence say NEVER underestimate a knife.
    This is what we need to listen to!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    if you're that close, learning a bit of traditional Ju Jitsu will be worth more than a blade.
    I have to disagree.

Up close a knife is much more dangerous and difficult to defend against than a gun. A knife has angles to content with, a gun has one dangerous end. Get behind the business end of the gun and you are "safe" thats where a knife comes into its own.

Ito JJ, it takes more training to be a good jj practicioner than to know how to use a knife. Put me in your guard, mount, rear naked choke etc etc etc and I will cut you arm off.

User

I wear a Ka-Bar TDI on my safety belt while driving. For those times someone wants to stick his hands into the car for whatever reason. I wear it just right of my belt buckle so it is easy to reach with both hands. It was designed for weapon retention applications using slashing techniques.

User

In my humble opinion a knife of the Fairbairn-Sykes model is probably the most efficient configuration for a self defence tool. Long, slim and sharp point to facilitate deep wounds, yet still double edged to allow slashing. They're also light and agile. The only downside is that this sort of knife may be prone to tip breakage. It may not be as intimidating to look at as a Kukri or Bowie, but I don't believe in deploying a weapon until under serious threat, at which point the intimidation factor is secondary to its efficiency anyway. Again, just my opinion from somebody who has thankfully had zero knife fights.

Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Don't have a gun yet(waiting) so have to depend on a knife. Dying without trying is not how I want to go.

Have done as much training as possible with military types and have 5 observations:

1. Careful of the formal martial arts stuff, very rigid and it limits the mind with rules and preset scenarios without you realising it. Don't get stuck. Not only applicable to knives. No rules and no limits!
    2. Don't forget that you still have arms, elbows, knees and feet. Careful of just focusing on the knife as the only solution.
    3. When stabbing, twist the knife in and twist it out. No need to go overboard. Small twists work well.
    4. It's hard to target specific areas during a fight. Make the most of opportunities as they present themselves. Hands are the smart target but they are all over the place so deflect and work the body/neck/head.
    5. If the situation is so bad that you end up putting a knife in a bad guy, take it out. Then put it back in. Repeat till your arm doesn't work. Pausing to see if he has decided to stop before poking him again can be most unpleasant.

A knife is still a gamble. I have been stabbed before. Only realised it when things calmed down so it didn't even slow me down while the poop was hitting the fan. There was a muffled gushing sound and I became very, very tired. Its a surreal peaceful feeling.

User

Morning Guys

Any recommendations on a knife trainer in JHB, preferably West Rand or Northern Suburbs?

Thanks,
    Ghost

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast