Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default WC: Sports adventure shooting Western Cape, Saturday 13th of September 2014

All L1 qualified members welcome to participate in the training day at CNQ.

Start 08h00 sharp.

Hand-gun 100rds, rifle 20rds minimum.

We will do some vehicle drills, carry drills, point-shooting drills, and rifle to pistol transitions. Some of the drills will be physically demanding, but due to the nature of the safety setup there you will have time to catch your breath.

Should be finished by 14h00.

NOTE: We are doing some vehicle work. If you don't bring your own vehicle you might not be able to participate in all the drills. Unless, of course, your lift buddy is willing to risk you perforating in his chariot.

Please email admin@saswc.co.za to confirm attendance.
    Last edited by mostlyharmless; 01-09-2014 at 14:05.

User

Default Re: WC: Sports adventure shooting Western Cape, Saturday 13th of September 2014

Beautiful morning at CNQ:

Only a few of us were able to make it due to work and other commitments.

We warmed up and then started with some fatigue drills:
    Carrying two 24kg kettle bells from the shooting line around the target and back
    to the shooting line and then engaging the target. 6 reps. 15+ shots.
    By the 6th time (after 120m of carrying the bells) the grip was getting tired!
    The drill is not timed to avoid reholstering on a clock, but the longer you take
    carrying the bells the more your grip suffers.

Next up we did a carry drill, using a sandbag weighing 15kgs which is in the ball
    park of a small child (my 2 year old weighs 12kg and my 4 year old weighs 19kg,
    but the bag feels heaver than both of them).
    Carrying your child with the "weak" arm you go for a stroll, you are attacked and
    need to engage strong hand only and pick up speed to run while maintaining your
    weapon in a safe direction and under control. All targets must be neutralized. You
    may not abandon "your child", but you may put them down to reload or fix your weapon.

WQTG had what seemed like a jam on his Glock with the last target and he quickly
    transitioned to knife against the target to finish it, however it it was actually
    much more serious than a jam — the slide-stop was sticking out at a weird angle
    and a Leatherman and force needed to be deployed to get it disassembled.
    He used my Glock for the rest of the day but fortunately found the missing spring
    before leaving so he could drive home with a functional weapon although sans a
    slide-stop and with some other bit missing and a cracked "something" on his
    trigger assembly.
    He made a call to Nicky at Bernhard Agencies right there from the range and the
    parts will be on the way Monday! Amazing service!

The take-away for me is that I should learn to do a detailed strip and re-assemble
    of my Glock. If it was me in that situation I wouldn't have been able to get it
    functional, in fact I wouldn't have even known that there was a spring missing... :-/
    WQTG has several spare Glocks at home, but a BUG especially on a long drive to the
    range/training day seems like a Really Good Idea (TM) unless you want to drive
    home without a weapon if something goes wrong during training.

We moved on to the vehicle drills, the first was a fun experiment not really a
    drill — testing that it is better to drive or shoot, not do both at the same time.
    We did a shoot-out-of-the-window-while-driving-test, focused on suppressive fire
    rather than front-sight-focus-aimed-hits . We used steel targets mostly.
    WQTG and RC did really well. In prior testing of this drill I had lots of FTE and
    FTL because of limp wristing with the unorthodox shooting position — I sorted it
    out after a couple of runs, but both of them ran it twice without any issues at
    all. The reactive targets also helped with tracking while driving — somehow one
    locked onto the "ting, ting" against the steel much easier than just a paper
    target. A data point indicating that perhaps one should use paper to get a more
    realistic test.
    We did see that we didn't drive or shoot as well as one would if focused on one
    thing only. I was not driving nearly as fast as I would have been if I was under
    hijack threat or being shot at, I ended up focusing too much on the shooting (that
    "ting, ting" on steel is such a fun sound ).

I did see that WQTG's advanced driving training had helped dealing with the
    driving situation. Something to add to the todo list.
    Safety was a concern so the drill was setup so that you didn't reholster or try
    fix malfunctions while driving. Once you draw your gun while driving it is very
    obvious that there isn't an easy way to stow your gun — safety is an issue if it
    is still loaded and retention is a huge issue if you put it in a non-standard
    place; if the gun is empty or disabled then you have an empty/non-working gun on
    exiting your vehicle which will need fixing before you can engage. If you mess up
    your driving and crash it will probably make things really tough to fight from if
    you have lost or disabled your gun...
    It certainly convinced me that drawing my gun while driving is a dumb idea, but I
    think that if one drilled it quite a bit you could convince yourself that you were
    "doing well" whereas in reality your driving sucked or your shooting sucked but
    you had lowered your expectations to fit "the game".
    If I had to re-run this drill I would run it with a passenger shooting at scored
    paper targets and the driver driving more realistically.

We then did a driver & passenger drill assuming that the vehichle had been
    disabled. You need to get to a particular spot, so you take on the bad guys and
    cover each other as you leap-frog forward to that point. Communication is a really
    huge thing in this kind of scenario — even with the drills clearly explained and
    us running them dry first.

It is a real eye opener to imagine the kind of confusion that would happen in a
    real dynamic situation where you need to come up with a plan while under fire.
    Very clearly highlighted the fact that I need to take the family through some home
    defence drills, not just home defence explanations or plans...
    Also transitioning to a secondary gun is something you should train to be the
    automatic 2nd option if the the primary isn't fixed with an immediate action drill
    — one can't be staring at or monkeying with your long gun out in the open, but
    often the first tendency is come to a complete grinding halt trying to figure out
    why its not going bang!

After this we still had some drills remaining to be done, but ammo was low. So we
    will do the snap-shooting and point-shooting drills next time.

Great time, good learning.

A few extra pics at: http://s9.photobucket.com/user/saswc...eshow/20140913

Additionally, I've never met anyone who could drive and shoot at the same time without doing both things poorly. Whether you are alone, or working with a group, the firearm picks up when the wheels stop.
    -- Gabe Suarez, http://blog.suarezinternational.com/...e-vehicle.html
    Last edited by mostlyharmless; 15-09-2014 at 14:26.

Default Re: WC: Sports adventure shooting Western Cape, Saturday 13th of September 2014

Thanks for the write up and pics

Looks like it was a physical event.

Its a while since we have done shooting from a moving vehicle in Gauteng, however I think this fits with your experience shoot OR drive but one cannot be expected to do both well.

The surface that we drive over is very bumpy and possibly accounts for our lack of enthusiasm for it.

The kettle bells looks interesting......
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

I just want to say a HUGE thank you to Nicky @ Bernhard agencies, he took my call on a Saturday, spent time trying to find out what went wrong and was truly concerned. Offered EXCEPTIONAL back up service and support.

Banned
    harties...If you are reading this, thank a teacher. Since its in English, thank a soldier.

very impressive!

Nice, I believe you guys are thinking of hosting a mach next year? Seems Like I will have to up my fitness levels!

User

Yis Nationals are in the Promised land next year for SAS. Working on the prizes already.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLVERINEQTG View Post
    Yis Nationals are in the Promised land next year for SAS. Working on the prizes already.
    So i take it, wet suits and canoes? Ive always wanted to do some waterborne exercises

Looking forward to it for sure!

User

LOL sure we have a dam at our disposal !

User

So what went wrong with that Glock? Hot load?

You may want to consider covering up the number plates in the pics...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast