Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Taurus PT809E Range Review

Hi guys, hope you all doing well. So I finally got my licensed approved and collected my first firearm, the Taurus PT809E. I've read many threads and I understand that there is a general consensus around here that Taurus's are not good but here is my range review on said firearm.
    Day 1
    Collected firearm at store and lightly oiled it, (assistant recommended I scrub it down because of Taurus shipping grease) but I ignored him. Purchased 200 rounds of prvi partizan FMJ 115 gr Al Cheapo (maximum amount I'm allowed to buy) and off I went to the range. Out of the 200 rounds I had 3 light strikes, Taurus has a "second strike" feature but instead I dropped the mag and cleared the chamber on the 3 occasions it happened. I am a new shooter so my groupings was not all that great. I was pretty chuffed with the performance of my Taurus especially after reading all the reviews, I was half expecting the thing to explode in my face or my slide to dislodge from the frame.
    I went home and scrubbed all the factory gunk that was hiding away in every hook and cranny of the firearm and oiled it up nicely
    Day 2
    Bought 100 rounds of prvi partizan and 100 rounds of Magtech, my Taurus ate it without a single failure, no light strikes, no FTF nor FTE (groupings was better too) I rectified my grip and trigger pull.
    Day 3
    This day I did not purchase any ammo, instead a few club members fed me reloads, from copper heads to lead and nickel casing to copper. I did not mind shooting it nor did I care to loading them according to type. So essentially I would have a nickel cased with lead head followed my copper cased copper head and so on and so fourth.
    I did however mind of the amount so before the festivities started I counted 328 rounds of ammo on Day 3.
    Without a single flaw my humble Taurus blasted the 328 rounds as if it was top of the range stuff. Some of the range members was so impressed even they had a go and they complimented me on my purchase.

I waited a bit before I gave my review as I have read before some people gave one and they only ran about 50 or so rounds and a few of the more seasoned guys gave them an ear full.

So I did 728 rounds with 3 light strikes (more than likely due to being full of packaging grease).

I am happy with my purchase and looking forward to see how it performs beyond the 3000 round mark, as I intend to use this firearm for IPSC and really run up the mileage

Thanks for reading fellow Gunsiters

User

Default Re: Taurus PT809E Range Review

Sounds very good, Thaabit.

User

Now get decent training! Oh and the heads are called bullets regardless... 😉

User

My buddy has one.

must have done 1000 so far. only have a Failed to cycle on a few hand-loads. Spat Factory ammo and Factory reloads out no problem.

The gun works.

I think the main thing guys are on about is the build quality. A Toyota and a BMW both take you from point A to point B. 1 is just built better. IMO

User

I fully intend to, I signed up membership to a reputable club. We have weekly training sessions where we do the basic without making the gun go bang. We do drills on grip, stance, sights and so on, and every week we add another demension to the fold like magazine reloading or something. Pretty fun and informative I must say

Thaabit, as with anything on the internet you should form your own opinion.
    Personally I ignore anyone that says X is shit, go and look at X and decide what I think of it.
    I have shot many a Taurus by now and have never had any issues so those people that made you beleive that it was shit have a very limiting view on life imho.
    Enjoy the Taurus every round!
    But in the spirit of what I am saying here - shoot as many guns as you can as often as you can and why not enjoy those too.

User

Understandable, but ok lets say its more of an affordable brand, but the guys really go to town with the whole "I hate Taurus" thing. Im a firm believer that everybody has the right to there own opinion but I chose the Taurus not because I couldnt afford a Glock but because it fit my hand ALOT better than the Glock, not to mention the Glock is kind of ugly and very blockish.
    Ive alwaysed wondered if they came up with the name Glock by taking the word Gun + Block = Glock.
    Any thoughts?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Just stop it. Others dis Taurus and you're subtly dissing Glock.

Enjoy your gun.
    Last edited by KK20; 11-09-2014 at 00:04.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    I think the main thing guys are on about is the build quality. A Toyota and a BMW both take you from point A to point B. 1 is just built better. IMO
    The Toyota is built better, of course

Enjoy your gun!!!

User

According to the reviews I read the 809 actually does have a good reputation amongst it's owners in the US. It comes standards with ambi safety and mag release, rails for torches, lasers. Not bad for a gun that's marketed as a low cost firearm.

The compact version looks particularly nice-both as a carry gun and home defence gun (I read it comes with an extended grip mag that brings the capacity from 13 rounds to 17).

I have considered this gun amongst my choices for a SD gun and your review has peaked my interest further. Guess the Glock 19 and CZ PO7 have some competition now. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast