Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question Motivation for 2x .22 licenses

I finally received my competency certificate from my DFO after a 6 month wait. I placed an order for a Savage MKII FV-SR at Safari and Outdoor earlier this year. They said the Savage would be here in mid May, and then August, and now the latest expected date is October. Over the weekend I visited another gun shop which had new stock of Norinco JW15 going for R3850 (including 4x32 scope, scope rings, magazine and barrel threaded for supressor) which I thought was quite a good deal, so I paid for it, but arranged to do the paperwork next year.

My intent is to practice target shooting and take part in NSA's postal shoot and some of Durbanville shooting club's competitions, ultimately working my way up to dedicated sport shooter. The rimfire category is split between "rifle with scope" and "rifle with open sight". Since the Savage does not have sights whatsoever, my idea is to use the Savage for the "rifle with scope" category and the Norinco for "rifle with open sight".

After reading a number threads here, it sounds like I might run into trouble trying to license two rifles of the same caliber. If I really had to choose between the two, I would prefer the Savage, but given the ever-shifting expected delivery date, I specifically requested that I do my license application for the Norinco next year to first apply for Savage, just in case there is an issue with motivating both rifles.

Is there anything you guys can think of that can strengthen my motivation to get both rifles? Will applying a specific order help (e.g. Savage first and then apply for Norinco because Savage doesn't have sights).

Banned

Default Re: Motivation for 2x .22 licenses

Get dedicated status and motivate each rifles use.

User

I just came across a rimfire competition with a category specifically for heavy barrels: http://www.sahunters.co.za/attachmen...l%20League.pdf
    Not sure if a heavy barrel is the same as bull barrel.

Exactly what driepootx said.

Get DDS via NSA (if you apply some effort you can have it in under a month, and far less I would wager)

Then apply for each rifle in it's own category.

Job done and 2 x .22's licensed.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

Banned

I ( dedicated hunter - occasional sports shooter) wanted a specific .22 and one i would settle for came up first then in short order the one i wanted. I applied at same time for both and motivated along lines of ............. The Brunno was for vermin control on a enclosed game farm and was a rugged rifle with a working very expensive scope and working very expensive trigger,old marked stock that could take some knocks.It was silenced and set up for my body to do serious work. I stated it was to be licensed Sect 16 for that purpose and application.The Remington, i stated that it was to be used as a practice shooting rifle and was in good clean pretty condition - not to be ruined in bush. It was not scoped and was to be used as a training weapon for my 5 year son - picture of him shooting and birth cert attached. Further more it would be used by self as a fun sporting occasional sports shooter rifle, which hopefully will also become my wifes learning rifle.I stated that i could not use my scoped and pre set hunting rifle for said purpose because of scope settings and length of stock cost of set up if child dropped it. - As counter argument I stated that the Remington was unscoped and original and could therefore be used in classic and historic type shoot events. Both went through ( as per previous posts).
    I think the important thing is to show that the one is for one specific use and the other for another which cannot easily be used for both. One occasional sports shooting ans specifically rigged for that and the other as a vermin control weapon and very specifically set up for that. I got both of mine as per previous posts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 45Trundle View Post
    Get DDS via NSA (if you apply some effort you can have it in under a month, and far less I would wager)
    It took me an afternoon.

Did my shoots the morning, did my test the afternoon, and sent in the stuff right there and then. When they got the application they processed it.

Just give a good motivation as to why both are required, and you will be good to go. There's a fair amount of people with multiple firearms of the same caliber.

User

Just my 2c, rather get DSS 1st and go .22 SLR and .22 bolt (with scope or which ever). Easier to motivate and lots of fun

User

So DSS first might be best? I am very tempted by DSS, since everyone tells me the 200 round limit is very limiting when it comes to .22LR.

I was hoping someone can give me a bit more information about NSA's DSS status. I read their page about DSS, but still have a few unanswered questions.

1. Do you need to own the firearms for the target you submit? (I don't currently own any firearms)
    2. To maintain your dedicated status, they give the following paragraph:

Maintenance of Dedicated Sport-Person StatusAny combination of three (3) of the following activities:

1. Participation in the NSA in-house postal target shooting events. See step-by-step guides on website. (handguns, rifles or semi-autos);
    2. Participation in NSA annual national postal target shooting competition/s.
    3. Participation in any number of clay target shooting occasions or events.
    4. Any shooting range activity participated in by member irrespective of where it took place (thus any non-NSA shooting activity) NB: Shooting on shooting ranges on farms do not qualify here,unless you have in writing requested Exco approval to do so.
    My closest NSA-approved shooting range is in False Bay, which is a 150km roundtrip from where I stay. Do you need to do any 3 of the above, or can you do 3 of the same (e.g. take part in a activity at my local range three times a year).

Note: Two or more targets shot on the same day qualifies as one activity.
    Does using two different rifles count qualify as two different activities when shot on the same day? Also will shooting both "scope" and "open sight" qualify as two activities.

User

Quote Originally Posted by recre8 View Post
    So DSS first might be best? I am very tempted by DSS, since everyone tells me the 200 round limit is very limiting when it comes to .22LR.
    Yes, get your DSS, 200 rounds goes too quickly, faster than you can load your mags.

Also look at ITA, depends where you are and what club you belong too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by recre8 View Post
    200 round limit is very limiting when it comes to every gun you own. 4 boxes of SD ammo for your handgun and that's it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast