Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Digital Safes Shown to be Insecure

Please see the video in the link below.

This method of simply and easily opening a digital safe is being reported in South Africa as well. The safe has a small electro-magnet that energise when the correct pin is entered, pulling the "locking pin" downwards. By hitting the top of the safe and turning the knob at the correct time, this pin is pushed down far enough for the safe door to open. The spring holding the pin upright is very weak.

Locally people are reporting that it takes about 30 seconds / 20 whacks to open the safe.

If you have a digital gun safe, consider replacing it - fast.

User

Default Re: Digital Safes Shown to be Insecure

I tried this with my safe a few months ago and ut worked by the 5th slam. However, the front is flat and the safe is now under something to prevent from being slammed from the top. That being said, my DFO does not accept any form of electronic safe so I ended up having to get a key safe anyway, so the electronic one makes for a good dummy/decoy

User

Well this sucks a little.

But mine is also sitting under something with very little room to smack it. Weird that your dfo won't accept digital safes. Or not?

User

I would not store a roll of used toiler paper in those safes.

Saw the same type at Makro where the inside cover of the door broke off, the lock bolts are 1 inch long and connected with 1mm steel plates to the rest of the locking mechanism. The mag solenoid is dirt cheap plastic, thus not surprised it be dislodged with a good bump. Behind the black cover is the key override, those little universal round locks found on old PC and Telkom phones.

Far as I know they are NOT SABS approved thus not legal for gun storage. The only crap is this the most common type in Hotels and B&B thus not of any use if you want to store your handgun if you want to go to the pool.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    Far as I know they are SABS approved thus not legal for gun storage.
    Huh?

This type of video has been posted before.

I have a Yale one, and it is most definitely SABS approved (and any DFO that makes extra crap up can go screw himself).

Good info, nonetheless.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Huh?

I have a Yale one, and it is most definitely SABS approved (and any DFO that makes extra crap up can go screw himself).

Good info, nonetheless.
    Sorry typo, missed a NOT.

Was referring to the specific No-Name brand one in the video (R649 at Makro) and not the Yale safes (R2k+ at Makro)

User

Also have a Yale (with SABS "cert"). Does the SABS testing actually including trying to break in, or does it just mean that the door/wall thickness is up to spec etc?

User

Huh?

Good info, nonetheless.
    The Yale one is the only one that I know of that is SABS approved. But id rather buy a rifle safe for the same amount of moneys...

Huh?

I have a Yale one, and it is most definitely SABS approved
    Does your safe have a little red reset button inside somewhere on the door? IF it does, it is very easy to drill a hole in the safe, press that button and program in a new code and open the safe.

I saw a video that mentioned this and have since disconnected that button. I still wont keep firearms in though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by L~C~G View Post
    Does your safe have a little red reset button inside somewhere on the door? IF it does, it is very easy to drill a hole in the safe, press that button and program in a new code and open the safe.

I saw a video that mentioned this and have since disconnected that button. I still wont keep firearms in though.
    I don't know, but thanks - will look.

I'm not keeping firearms in that one any more either, BTW.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast