Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A Call for Help

Default A Call for Help

Guys,

We need to use the data on this website to build a document something like this:

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...gh-Targets.pdf

I need some people to please step and agree to help to build the document. We'll need to people to:

1. summarise the data in this section of the forum and compile it into a similar document (preferably folks with a good command of written English).
    2. trawl the remainder of the forum and find other similar matters not referred to here.
    3. trawl the web and find find other South African self defence firearms usages.

A champion to act as manager and co-ordinator of the all the helpers.

We'll also need a chief editor and maybe one or two sub-editors.

The document will also be continually updated as new data comes in over time.

We'll start with self defence and then move into unarmed people who were murdered etc.

This is a really important tool we need to build in order to show the true position to the world and to support our position vis-a-vis the politicians. The data talks more than anything we say.

Could volunteers and applicants for various positions put up their hands? If you're willing to help in more than one role, please say so. If we're oversubscribed for a role or roles we may ask people to move into our areas, Please don't be offended if we choose someone else for a role - we're all in this together.

The document will be "owned" by gunsite but will be freely available to anyone in pdf format.

Please, only if you're really committed.

Cheers
    WZ

Edit:

Guys, I see I haven't explained myself adequately. This should not require more than a few hours from each person if there are enough of us. I had in mind for example that each person would take a few posts (maybe ten) in the relevant thread and briefly summarize them into a defined format. Each incident should be summarised to no more than four or five lines and the relevant data (date, place, URL) included. I'll write an intro. The eds would then review and compile into the document. This way we can rapidly create something that is distributable to various persons.

This is important because although you may not realise, most ordinary South Africans are aware of very few, if any, instances of self defense use of a firearm. This became apparent to me on a number of occasions. The result is that they perceive that guns are only used by bad guys to commit crimes and that the only purpose of civilian self-defence ownership is to create a ready supply for the bad guys. If you can't change that perception, don't be surprised if the majority of the public are against you and if you eventually end up with a Zimbawean or Australian type dispensation - after all that is what your friends in GFSA want and are pushing government for. What I propose will be a good tool to counter that.

Only too often some fight or another is proposed here but when money is called for everyone is found to have deep pockets and short arms - though they can spend tens of thousands on guns and ammo. Let's not make it the same with our time contributions.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 16-09-2014 at 07:33.

User

Default Re: A Call for Help

You tell me what needs doing, if I can do so it will be done.

Rgrds
    Fight or die

Thank you Sarel.

Guys, I'm not going to thank everyone as the posts roll in. Take it in advance that your willingness is appreciated.

User

I am going to read the document and see where I can be of assistance.

User

I am unfortunately not going to be able to help: writing exams in a month, between studying and work I am swamped up to my ears :(

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    I am unfortunately not going to be able to help: writing exams in a month, between studying and work I am swamped up to my ears :(
    So, can I count on you when your exams are done?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    So, can I count on you when your exams are done?
    Absolutely. From 8 November I am all yours.

User

Over December you have my provisional support/time for most of the day, depending on work load. It usually is pretty quiet, so I may be able to help. I'm in the same boat as MS.

Guys, I see I haven't explained myself adequately. This should not require more than a few hours from each person if there are enough of us. I had in mind for example that each person would take a few posts (maybe ten) in the relevant thread and briefly summarize them into a defined format. Each incident should be summarised to no more than four or five lines and the relevant data (date, place, URL) included. I'll write an intro. The eds would then review and compile into the document. This way we can rapidly create something that is distributable to various persons.

This is important because although you may not realise, most ordinary South Africans are aware of very few, if any, instances of self defense use of a firearm. This became apparent to me on a number of occasions. The result is that they perceive that guns are only used by bad guys to commit crimes and that the only purpose of civilian self-defence ownership is to create a ready supply for the bad guys. If you can't change that perception, don't be surprised if the majority of the public are against you and if you eventually end up with a Zimbawean or Australian type dispensation - after all that is what your friends in GFSA want and are pushing government for. What I propose will be a good tool to counter that.

Only too often some fight or another is proposed here but when money is called for everyone is found to have deep pockets and short arms - though they can spend tens of thousands on guns and ammo. Let's not make it the same with our time contributions.

User

Roger. I'm in.

As soon as you have the format worked out, let me know!
    Last edited by Gunservant; 16-09-2014 at 07:44.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast