User

Default Sig StopLite STL-300J

Has anyone encountered, used, know someone that has used one of these Torch Laser Tactical Vertical Grips before?

I would like to know how tough, accurate and sharp the torch is on them. Also how efficient the battery use is.
    The advertising blurb is 700 lumens and was wondering just how close people have used them think that statement is.

Any information on these StopLites would be appreciated.

Default Re: Sig StopLite STL-300J

They are made in China by ITAC and rebranded by SIG. I won't go quite so far as some have and call them 'junk' but I do know of several that have broken mounts as well as some where the laser never worked right (split up after a few feet, etc.) They list at $215 in the states but the SIG reps can't sell them at $150. My R.02 would be to stay far, far away from them. They did use the same LED that is in the Olight M30 Triton, which is why I did not use the 'J' word, but a good LED won't help if the gizmo won't mount to your rail coz it's broken.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks for the heads up ikor.
    I was wondering why they were half the price of the Crimson Trace MVF-515 and Surefire M910.

The laser is not really the have to have, just a nice to have, since it'll interchange between my Saiga Shotgun and the CAR-15.

The Crimson Trace unit is very well made but it should be for what they want for one :o, and the well proven SureFire, of course, has no laser and won't take the M60 size LEDs.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak
    Thanks for the heads up ikor.
    I was wondering why they were half the price of the Crimson Trace MVF-515 and Surefire M910.

The laser is not really the have to have, just a nice to have, since it'll interchange between my Saiga Shotgun and the CAR-15.
    I would guess it's chinese made. Some the best performing LED lights at the best prices are coming out of Hong Kong currently.

I have CR123 powered Olight and ITP lights which totally outperform (in the light emitting department) Surefire CR123 powerd lights and I have AA powered lights which even outperform the Surefire CR123 powered lights. All of them way cheaper than the US manufactured lights.

User

Hi Khumba

I have a NexTorch, also Chinese made, that is brilliant. It is just as strong as a Streamlight Scorpion at a fraction of the price.

I do feel however that the reputation and worldwide usage of the Crimson Trace and Surefire firearm mounted tactical lights and lasers sways me in their direction.
    I don't feel that Sig would easily put their reputation on the line by rebranding a rubbish product, that is why I am trying to find out just how good they are.

On the flip side, the Sig Stoplight has a completely different operation in that to enable the laser, a button on the side needs to be clicked on, it is not linked to the back button, that will only function the torch (which has a momentary and strobe function, also changed by buttons on the side of the unit)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak
    Hi Khumba

I have a NexTorch, also Chinese made, that is brilliant. It is just as strong as a Streamlight Scorpion at a fraction of the price.

I do feel however that the reputation and worldwide usage of the Crimson Trace and Surefire firearm mounted tactical lights and lasers sways me in their direction.
    I don't feel that Sig would easily put their reputation on the line by rebranding a rubbish product, that is why I am trying to find out just how good they are.

On the flip side, the Sig Stoplight has a completely different operation in that to enable the laser, a button on the side needs to be clicked on, it is not linked to the back button, that will only function the torch (which has a momentary and strobe function, also changed by buttons on the side of the unit)
    That is not necessarily the case and not what I suggested - lots of manufacturers design products and have them manufactured in the east to save on tooling and labour costs - Most of the high tech and NEW LED's come out of Korea and China anyway. I speculate that Sig cannot manufacture a weapons light in the US or Euro that is as good or better than a Surefire or CT at half the price.

"I don't feel that Sig would easily put their reputation on the line by rebranding a rubbish product, that is why I am trying to find out just how good they are."

Sadly that is exactly the case with SIG USA. They hired the same clown who almost managed to run Kimber into the ground while greatly increasing their profit margin, and he is busily doing the same with SIG USA as well. Their optical sight is an even worse steaming pile of rubbish than that light. If you remember nothing else, always remember to think and judge for yourself with ANY product...and that goes double for guns. The gun business has about two more whores in it than Babylon did in its' heyday! If they can make something 5 cents cheaper they will, and if it would cost only 3 cents to improve it they usually won't. At least the net makes research a bit easier these days, and we can learn from the mistakes of others.

Khumba is, as usual, correct about the fact that some of the newer lights coming from the east are less expensive and brighter than some more established makes such as SureFire, etc. (who tend to be conservative about adopting newer technology) and some of them are very nice, very bright, priced right and reasonably tough. The LED used in the SIG fore end light is a good one, but the rest of the product is just slightly above garbage level. Personally I would consider getting a simple mount and a good torch and using that for a weaponlight...such a setup is also more versatile than the fore end lights.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!