Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bunker or not?

User

Default Bunker or not?

Moving back to the house I grew up in, I've been doing a lot of modifications, repairs and security upgrades to the old home while it stands vacant. Built by my late dad in 86 its a sturdy single story structure with much potential. Now what sets this home apart from your average residential, plot or farm house is that it is built in the semi industrial area of the town I live in, which basically separates the local township from the town. The house is build behind a +/-3000 m/2 workshop which faces the road running down the length of the township. The house itself faces an open veld area which has been sub divided into erf's that are for sale by the municipality, but as there is very little development in the town currently I don't see this area being occupied in the near or distant future.The idea behind moving back there amongst many other reasons is that I'll be "running my business from home" and consolidating much of my costs.

Now the thought I have been mulling over in my head is to build a bunker under the workshop which is connected to the garage of the home. In turn the house is about 5 meters from the garage facing the main bedroom, which I have also been considering extending to build a fortified panic-room/vault which will adjoin the house to the garage giving my family and I access to entrance of the bunker I'm proposing to construct, beneath the foundations of workshop.

My dad was a hoarder and collected much material, equipment and just about anything with a reusable use, and when I say that, I mean in the form of a few hundred tons of material such as steel (I-beams, angle iron, etc.), timber and other building materials. So much of what I would need to take on a project like this is readily available. What I would be lacking in is man power as this is not the sort of thing that I'd want anyone to know about, so the task of digging and construction would be left on my shoulders in my spare time. This will be project that I intend on doing over time and I don't expect it completion in a year or two but over time and ind in stages.

I would appreciate your comments and thoughts, whether you think I'd be wasting my time or not and if not, some ideas and input would be greatly welcomed.

User

Default Re: Bunker or not?

I think it's a brilliant idea - for several reasons:

You can build a seriously nice safe from the ground up - just the way you want it. You'll pretty much need to buy a walk-in safe door and then you build according to SABS specs.

You will have a panic room, like you said yourself. If it's to be considered remember to keep it large enough.

With a neat air-conditioner you can store a lot of goods in there and keep it fresh. Think of water, canned foods, wine, etc.

Having an underground safe you build yourself leaves you to design it's security. For example, fit the door in such a way that you cannot get to it with a grinder or other power tools with ease. You can also hide the room perfectly, behind a cupboard or whatever.

If you need the SABS specs to build to, let me know.

User

In short - I think it is a brilliant idea for various reasons as set out by Toxxyc.

User

To add on to the panic room - try to build a concealed exit to the safe as well. Perhaps one door opening into the house and another into the garage or the garden shed or something like that. If the BG's get into the house and you have to go into the room, at least you can get out if they decide to stay a while.

User

Love the idea.
    You would be surprised at what you can accomplish on your own digging an hour a day. Would be good exercise and can be remarkably quick.

I would recommend you get a concrete mixer. That way you can mix and place smaller batches by yourself as you progress.
    If you want the safe door down there consider building it underground. Lazer cut components that is welded in position.

As a kid my brother and I dug a 4m deep 45deg slope tunnel about 700dia in the back yard. No supports. Parents had a small issue with this, when we showed them what we were up to. Could not figure why... It took a 12 and 14yo only a week of afternoons.

User

^ Nice, but not so much posting it to a public forum... Maybe ask a mod to remove?

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Love the idea.
    You would be surprised at what you can accomplish on your own digging an hour a day. Would be good exercise and can be remarkably quick.

I would recommend you get a concrete mixer. That way you can mix and place smaller batches by yourself as you progress.
    If you want the safe door down there consider building it underground. Lazer cut components that is welded in position.

As a kid my brother and I dug a 4m deep 45deg slope tunnel about 700dia in the back yard. No supports. Parents had a small issue with this, when we showed them what we were up to. Could not figure why... It took a 12 and 14yo only a week of afternoons.
    Thanks Beast, yes fortunately I have the equipment as I'm in construction, so concrete mixer, jack hammers, etc are all sorted. As stated by Toxxyc I'll have my safes and firepower stored in the panic room for ease of access in the event we need a bit more then our initial setup. Without doubt though a vault in the bunker only makes sense and construction of such would be a must.

User

Where can I find the specs for a walk in safe Toxxyc?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    ^ Nice, but not so much posting it to a public forum... Maybe ask a mod to remove?
    Lol, I agree with you Toxxyc, fortunately these are all just ideas and nothing set in stone, with 1000 different options at my disposal. Obviously just feeling around to see if it's worth going through with.

User

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    Where can I find the specs for a walk in safe Toxxyc?
    I'm with sa-shooter here, would be great to have the room built to SABS spec.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast