Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bunker or not?

User

Default Re: Bunker or not?

I must confess. I received the specs a while back from someone on the forum (can't remember who) but I seem to have lost them. I got them on email but the email seems to have disappeared. I wonder if we shouldn't just buy a spec and get it over with. It costs R153 from SANS themselves.

PS: I am completely against the idea of PAYING for a specification sheet REQUIRED to comply with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by zulushark View Post
    Lol, I agree with you Toxxyc, fortunately these are all just ideas and nothing set in stone, with 1000 different options at my disposal. Obviously just feeling around to see if it's worth going through with.
    I also always thought if it's worth it, until my GF's father built one. It's the first thing I'm building when I eventually buy my own place. It's absolutely amazing just having one huge room with all that "safe space".

User

Can one use a shipping container? Just thinking that you could plonk one down and brick it up and stick a safe door on it?

User

I don't think so, no. It'll count as a strongroom, which has it's own specifications according to SANS (which you must comply to). Personally I think it's a brilliant idea - just build around it and fit a safe door. Secure as hell.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I don't think so, no. It'll count as a strongroom, which has it's own specifications according to SANS (which you must comply to). Personally I think it's a brilliant idea - just build around it and fit a safe door. Secure as hell.
    Well tahts the idea. What are the requirements for a walk in safe? Does it have to have a metal interior or built with rebar or something?

PS, is a strongroom more or less secure as a walk in safe?

User

I am of the idea that a walk-in-safe and a strongroom, according to the SANS, are one and the same thing. I might be mistaken though, so take care with this information.

User

I found some info that indicated that the walls need to be re-enforced concrete with a CAT 2 safe door. So if you use a container and build it in with re-enforced concrete then you should be sorted. I think at least. Interesting stuff actully. Gonna look into it

User

It's reinforced concrete cavity walls that are needed, and if I remember correctly the cavity needs to be filled with some sort of material that deters drilling. Or can be filled for a higher spec, or something like that.

User

A shipping container in my situation won't do, unless I dig up the workshop concrete slab which is easily 250mm thick, reinforced with rebar, and then start digging into the foundation back fill. Getting the container into the workshop isn't much of an issue but getting it into the ground might require some heavy machinery and obviously arousing more interest than what I'd like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2