Default Multi-target in dry-fire excercise

Since I've done a few basic drills, wall drill and such, I'm now coming up on a drill where you sight and shoot three targets, with some pretty tight par times mention in Stoeger's book. I'll do it slow and neat for now, but there is one thing that bothers me.

What do the people out there do who have hammer-fired guns? I usually wear 1-up cocked, so my first shot single action, but then obviously the following shots will be DA since my pistol stubbornly refuses to cock itself when I use Snap Caps.

Do you just shoot the next rounds DA? Or do you re-cock the hammer by thumb after each shot? The second option will obviously drop your par time quite a bit.
    I'm practicing for SD, if that helps.

User

Default Re: Multi-target in dry-fire excercise

I just shoot my other shots as DA, or slow down slightly and cock for SA if I so wish.
    Do you perhaps mean striker-fired? That's where the problem comes in, not true?

User

this is where the SIRT really comes into its own

Hi Knoffel. No, my pistol has a hammer. I assume for striker-fired you'd have to rack the slide each time to cock it?
    So far the exercises I've done (while waiting for my book to arrive) I've cocked the hammer before each shot to keep the shooting SA, unless I was specifically practicing DA shots.

p2w : A dedicated training pistol would be nice. You sponsoring?

User

I have a SA gun.

First shot with the snap-cap from Locked-and-loaded.

Subsequent shots, you apply a 'similar' amount of pressure to the trigger to 'simulate' a SA trigger pull. Pretty much a 'touchy-feely' thing. Obviously, you will be lacking a certain amount of feedback and will not have a proper reset.

Did a similar thing as above with my Glock when I still used it.

A SIRT would be useless for me. I don't know of a SIRT which can replicate a 1911 trigger.

Ben explains the above concept in his Video.

User

Quote Originally Posted by John Reid View Post
    Hi Knoffel. No, my pistol has a hammer. I assume for striker-fired you'd have to rack the slide each time to cock it?
    So far the exercises I've done (while waiting for my book to arrive) I've cocked the hammer before each shot to keep the shooting SA, unless I was specifically practicing DA shots.

p2w : A dedicated training pistol would be nice. You sponsoring?
    Yeah no hammer-fired pistols shouldn't have an issue shooting DA if it's able to do so.
    My P07 has a decocker on (I don't see the point of the safety if the decocker is easier for me) and I would shoot the first round DA, and SA from there on.

I generally shoot all my dry-fire exercises DA if there are multiple shots involved.

User

I DA the first shot in the first target. Then reset te trigger to where it would go in SA for subsequent shots and apply pressure to the dead trigger. Repeat as necessary. If I release the trigger for movement etc then first shot DA again.

Thank you guys, that pretty much answers it!

I try to keep the training as close to real life as I can, so I have my pistol in my EDC holster, cocked, safety on, as I carry it every day for draw and fire exercises. Need to work taking the safety off into the training ;-) I think BigT's method should bring in the simulated SA follow-up shots as well. I'll test it!

User

Next time I see you will show you a little trick for running the safety on your 90-two