Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Farm attacks 'not political'

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/...-not-political

"Phiyega said farm murders had been reduced "drastically" over the years - from 71 in 2011 and 56 in 2012, to 60 last year and 58 this year."

Clearly the figures quoted above are indicative of the rest of our crime stats.
    If anything farm murders are getting worse.

"In instances in which attackers used racist language, Burger said, it could be just "tough talk"."

Ok..so its not racist but just tough talk ?

User

Default Re: Farm attacks 'not political'

I think the lady (Phiyega) doth protest too much.

1. I do not trust the veracity of the statistics.

2. If accurate, the statistics illustrate a roughly 18% decrease in murders since 2011, but it bottomed out in 2012 and remained constant and very high. This year is likely to far exceed the 60 of last year anyway.

3. Motivation of the attacks is irrelevant: the fact that the authorities have been unable or unwilling to treat it as a priority crime speaks volumes.

4. If more farmers EDC and are ready for the inevitable, we will start seeing a different trend. I hope this happens.

User

Classic case of blaming the victim.

"Police were no longer classifying crimes taking place on farms separately."
    Because they don't want the stats and proof that it's getting worse.

"Howard Mbana, a Food and Allied Workers' Union representative, said farmworkers were still subjected to abuse by their bosses.
    "There is widespread violation of farmworkers' rights by farm owners. Workers still suffer from beatings and insults on a regular basis. Farmworkers live in conditions of indignity and slavery; animals live better," said Mbana."
    So instead of trying to fix the problem of farm attacks and murders Mbana is trying to justify it. If this was happening I'm very sure the media will have a field day.

Just because someone says it's not politically and racially motivated does not make it so.

By her own logic, Riah should not wear miniskirts.

User

More an more of the farmers in our district are now carrying 24/7.
    I dont move anywhere in the house or on the property without my trusty G17 attached firmly to my belt.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post

4. If more farmers EDC and are ready for the inevitable, we will start seeing a different trend. I hope this happens.
    I would like to see this happen too. It's just an utter shame that they mostly live day to day, in total denial that it will happen to them.

User

I think the lady (Phiyega) doth protest too much.

1. I do not trust the veracity of the statistics.

2. If accurate, the statistics illustrate a roughly 18% decrease in murders since 2011, but it bottomed out in 2012 and remained constant and very high. This year is likely to far exceed the 60 of last year anyway.

3. Motivation of the attacks is irrelevant: the fact that the authorities have been unable or unwilling to treat it as a priority crime speaks volumes.

I agree.

The bulk of the farm attacks hapens to people in their 60's and up.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Purvis View Post
    More an more of the farmers in our district are now carrying 24/7.
    I dont move anywhere in the house or on the property without my trusty G17 attached firmly to my belt.

I call total BS on Cosatu's claim of maltreated farmworkers. I do not deny the possibility that it exists, but I have yet to come across a single example. Marxist idiots.

User

Caught the tail end of an interview with an oke from Afriforum on the radio this morning. They're apparently going to "present a document to parliament" in response to this.

Methinks one should approach Afriforum with the idea to include the suggestion for farmers to arm themselves and get training. It could play out as a win all around.

:- P

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Caught the tail end of an interview with an oke from Afriforum on the radio this morning. They're apparently going to "present a document to parliament" in response to this.

Methinks one should approach Afriforum with the idea to include the suggestion for farmers to arm themselves and get training. It could play out as a win all around.

:- P
    Afriforum already has a rural security initiative that they are implementing. It involves training of farmers and organising them into rural security units. It will probably be very logical to ask them to commit to a further step.

User

Afriforum already has a rural security initiative that they are implementing. It involves training of farmers and organising them into rural security units. It will probably be very logical to ask them to commit to a further step.
    As far as I am concerned this is the only step forward.
    We have a private security company that has the contact for our farm watch but they are useless and the price is crazy.
    They offer a single patrol (drive by) over a 24 hour period and are available 24/7 for emergency call outs. For this luxury, I am expected to pay R2500 a month.
    When one of our cottages was broken into and had all the windows, burglar bars and security gates stolen, we were told that it would cost an extra R10 000 to start an investigation.
    I think its time that the farming community stood together and started policing our own communities (Oh how I miss the Commando days)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast