Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Anytone At-289 UHF radio

Hi Everyone

We have the license free version of the Anytone At-289 UHF radio in stock for R930-00.

http://www.tacticalquartermaster.co....roducts_id/463

This is ready to ship immediately and does not require a radio license.

I have programmed it to be compatible with the Zartek 705's and all the channels match the standard Zartek programming.

This is a great radio for general purpose use. We have used these hard at Sports Adventure Shooting with great results!

Cheers
    Luke

What is the typical comms range with these radios?

User

Default Re: Anytone At-289 UHF radio

Very dependent on terrain and environment. License free is limited to 0.5W transmit power, whereas licensed usually up to 5W.

Using it inside a car (think steel cage), but in open terrain, 1 to 2 km on license free. Mountain top to mountain top in the open, potentially in excess of 20K (we have actually experienced this).

Walls, trees, terrain all make an impact, as does your body.

User

From a lot of experience with radios, it's a lot less in suburban environments. I've done it at either ends of a street, 400m long, and moving behind the houses, and the signal is 1/5 at best. In short, buildings and earth (hills) are really really bad for signal, but in flat geographical areas it works a lot better, in residential areas.
    Line of sight works well, regardless of the output.

We upgraded from licence-free (should have been 0.5 but it was never done), to using a repeater on a hill. This has allowed me up to 50km of range before, but it's dependent on other factors then.

User

What the guys are saying is true.... It is very dependent on terrain. We have had great comms with these when you have line of sight.

Inside a vehicle using the standard antennae not so great.

Add a decent antennae and your range increases tremendously.

What's nice about these radios is that currently they are license free and in 0.5W.

Should you get a license you can send then back to me and I will reprogram on your frequency and you will get 5W output.

It also all depends on what your use will be.

Me I have a few of these around the house, 1 in my tac vest, 1 in the bedroom, 1 in my webbing. Should I need to kit up and go out the room I have comms with my wife.

Cheers

User

Hahahaha, our transmitters are 250w. :) ICASA had kittens when they found out about it!

These are cool and they may fit a requirement I have similar to LukeS'. What license do you need for the 5w unlock?

And please excuse my ignorance but what does "Battery Life: 14 Hours during 5-5-90 Work Cycle " mean?

User

5 % receiving, 5% talking, 90% standby with no activity.

For a licence you have to apply to ICASA. Not too difficult but can operate at speeds similar to CFR

User

Thanks Cockroach that's right.

Yea you would need to apply to ICASA for a license should you want them at full power.

We can assist with this if your interested.

The nice benefit of this is that when you have the license you can purchase mobile radios for installation into vehicles, use as base stations etc. Then you will get some very decent comms.

Various other ways to get a radio that requires a license, see my post under tacqm forum on licenses.

Cheers

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    Hahahaha, our transmitters are 250w. :) ICASA had kittens when they found out about it!

These are cool and they may fit a requirement I have similar to LukeS'. What license do you need for the 5w unlock?

And please excuse my ignorance but what does "Battery Life: 14 Hours during 5-5-90 Work Cycle " mean?
    You just need radio licence - for either commercial or private purposes. The forms are self-explanatory.
    ICASA has said though, that they don't want to (if you push the right buttons you still manage) hand out any more licences in the interim, especially on the UHF band. They're clogged up and full of crap as of late.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    You just need radio licence - for either commercial or private purposes. The forms are self-explanatory.
    ICASA has said though, that they don't want to (if you push the right buttons you still manage) hand out any more licences in the interim, especially on the UHF band. They're clogged up and full of crap as of late.
    I have recently had success on the UHF band so not sure what's happening but it was fairly smooth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast