Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Shopping Mall Robberies Thread

I also know someone who is the manager for a large mall in Durban - they had an incident recently at a jewelry store and got a security company to come in and advise. They were advised that emphasis would be put on identifying the criminals and bringing them to justice, not on stopping them there and then. They were told definitely not to use armed guards.

Personally I think they have their heads in the sand but I don't care as I don't frequent that mall. I do know someone on this forum went into said jewelry store a week after the incident carrying with no problems.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    I have a close friend who is the Ops Manager for a large regional shopping mall belonging to one of the large development groups.

They are on high alert and have all security staff on lookout. What they do is identify suspects and follow them via the CCTV from ops room and the guards stay a distance back. They havr done random searches before on these suspects after one went into a Browns jeweller.

SOP is to relay info to SAPS and not get involved at all. I agree armed guards in a mall is a kak idea unless they are very highly trained and we know that wont happen. He asked me what I think knowing I secretly carry at his workplace even though Im not allowed to. I said its simple, if it a case of wallets and cellphones cash they can have it i dont think a gunfight in a store is worth some cash facing 5 guys. BUT if they start moving people, making us lie down, takes us back etc etc etc.....its go time. Basically gray man until its no longer possible.
    I hear you, same I will not actively get involved in a robbery situation if not directly threatened.

But I think they are making the mistake by assuming the armed robbers are rational thinking people, there have been enough evidence to show that these guys will physically assault people which can lead to permanent brain injury and open fire indiscriminately even if nobody is armed or opening fire upon them. By doing nothing they "indirectly encouraging" more robberies which also increases the risk of innocent people getting hurt or killed.

They can have better and armed security; with proper security systems in place I'm sure they can confront the gangs before they enter the mall.

From the press releases and interviews it is clear that mall management's ONLY concern is the bottom line.

User

Vodacom shop robbed at Centurion mall this morning. Suspects shot/apprehended near Bosvelder.

LOOKOUT: 2014/10/17 10h50am Silver Nissan Micra with no number plate near Centurion Mall. Incident (Robbery) at Vodacom shop Vodacom Shop, Entrance 5, cnr Mike Craford & Heuwel Avenue, getaway car was the Nissan. 4 B/M. We believe Suspects has been apprehended by SAPS. Nissan Micra seems to be DUMPED somewhere, please lookout for this vehicle abandoned /parked in the area

User

User

WOW busy day today

User

I remember when Makro stores in Cape Town all had a guy in the parking lot with a shotgun.

User

http://maroelamedia.co.za/blog/nuus/...enturion-mall/

Gauteng-rooftogte: 5 vas ná roof by Centurion Mall

17 Oktober 2014
    Phillip Bruwer

Die vyf rowers wat ná die rooftog by die Centurion Mall in hegtenis geneem is. Foto: Verskaf

Vyf vermeende rowers is Vrydag in hegtenis geneem ná ʼn gewapende roof vroeër die oggend by ʼn selfoonwinkel by Centurion Mall in Pretoria.
    ʼn Groep rowers het omstreeks 11:00 op die Vodacom-selfoonwinkel in die sentrum toegeslaan en ʼn aantal elektroniese toestelle gesteel.
    Die rowers het probeer vlug, maar is buite die sentrum deur die polisie voorgekeer. ʼn Oor-en-weer-skietery het uitgebreek waarna die rowers in hegtenis geneem is. Die polisie het op vuurwapens beslag gelê. Twee sakke vol gesteelde selfone en elektroniese toestelle is in hul besit gevind.
    Kaptein Doniah Mothutsane, ʼn polisiewoordvoerder, het aan Maroela Media gesê die polisie gaan binnekort ʼn persverklaring oor die voorval uitreik.
    Dit is een van ʼn reeks rooftogte waar rowers selfoonwinkels in gewilde winkelsentrums in Gauteng teiken en daarop toeslaan. Soortgelyk rooftogte begin ook in Kaapstad toeneem.

User

Have just heard, but cannot confirm that the Telkom at Irene Mall has been robbed. Can anyone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Castos View Post
    Have just heard, but cannot confirm that the Telkom at Irene Mall has been robbed. Can anyone confirm?
    Nothing yet, where did you hear?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast