User

Default Pannone on Fine and Gross Motor Skills

An article by Mike Pannone on the motor skills debate. Used with permission.

Examining the gross versus fine motor skills debate
    Mike Pannone CTT-Solutions LLC, Copyright 2008

Often instructors will invoke the “fine versus gross motor skill” argument. The below definitions should illuminate where these have gone awry and when they do actually apply. Because the motor skills used for weapons handling are not specifically on one side or the other of the definition it is often taken as all skills are fine motor functions. Two perfect examples of gross motor skills that are mischaracterized as fine motor skills are releasing the bolt via the bolt catch on an M4 and the slide via the slide stop on a pistol. Neither involves “a refined use of the small muscles controlling the hand, fingers, and thumb.” Both are in fact either the use of the locked wrist, extended thumb and the entire arm on an M4 bolt release or the complete clenching of the hand on a pistol to release a slide stop given appropriate hand size or the use of the support side thumb. The only fine motor skill conducted with pistol or carbine is a precision shot; fine muscles in the hands in coordination with eyes.
    ***How could a shooter effectively operate a trigger or magazine release on a pistol or carbine but not be able to operate the slide stop or bolt release?***
    · “The term gross motor skills refer to the abilities usually acquired during infancy and early childhood as part of a child's motor development. By the time they reach two years of age, almost all children are able to stand up, walk and run, walk up stairs, etc. These skills are built upon, improved and better controlled throughout early childhood, and continue in refinement throughout most of the individual's years of development into adulthood. These gross movements come from large muscle groups and whole body movement.”
    · “Fine motor skills can be defined as coordination of small muscle movements which occur e.g., in the fingers, usually in coordination with the eyes. In application to motor skills of hands (and fingers) the term dexterity is commonly used. The abilities which involve the use of the hands develop over time, starting with primitive gestures such as grabbing at objects to more precise activities that involve precise hand-eye coordination. Fine motor skills, are skills that involve a refined use of the small muscles controlling the hand, fingers, and thumb. The development of these skills allows one to be able to complete tasks such as writing, drawing, and buttoning.”
    Quoted, paraphrased or adapted from:
    A Topical Approach to Life-Span Development
    John W. Santrock PhD, University of Texas at Dallas
    ISBN: 0073382647
    Copyright year: 2008

User

Default Re: Pannone on Fine and Gross Motor Skills

Thank you for some excellent info.

I like this.

So the argument is actually not that which we have been arguing all along.

The releasing of a slide and the pulling of a trigger can be defined as gross motor skills, but can also in certain circumstances be seen as a fine motor skill, which would then explain why accuracy is often the first thing to go if under stress.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I think manipulating the trigger is a fine motor skill.

I read it as the act of pulling the trigger can be a gross motor skill, ie you just have to close your fist for the trigger to be pulled. However, when coupled with aligning the sights and ensuring that you don't upset the sight picture is a fine motor skill, as it needs a certain amount of finesse and co-ordination.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

You could be right but that would merely be firing the gun - so I undertand what you are saying.

In and SD and sportshooting perspective and the background on what MP teaches I would think that one would always endeavour to make an accurate shot and that will require fine motor skills.

"The only fine motor skill conducted with pistol or carbine is a precision shot; fine muscles in the hands in coordination with eyes."
    Last edited by DS; 14-10-2014 at 12:02.