Default CRKT Hammond Tanto (Operator's Model)

Anyone own the CRKT Hammond Tanto (Operator's Model). What is your opinion on this knife?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OZZY View Post
    Anyone own the CRKT Hammond Tanto (Operator's Model). What is your opinion on this knife?
    MMMMM????????? any views???????????????

User

Dont own one, dont think that I would either - not my style.

Fair Enough

Wink CRKT Hammond

Hi Ozzy

I owned one some years ago when they first came out. I bought it as a handy fixed blade EDC. These days I am not a fan of CRKT knives (their materials have taken a turn for the worse). However, the Hammond has been in CRKT's line-up for some time, and I think it is still produced as it was: AUS 8 steel, zytel handle slabs and kydex sheath. It was a very well made knife, with good grind lines and symmetry. And it sat in the hand rather well.

But I eventually gave it away as a gift because there were a couple of things that prevented it from being a 'keeper'. The sheath was over-engineered. It was meant to be attachable to just about anything, and so you ended up with a massive arrangement of screws, sheets of kydex and sprung steel clips that basically took the knife from a practical EDC to a portability challenge. I overcame that by having a simple leather sheath made with a holster clip (and I swept my pile of kydex and its associated knuts and bolts into the bin). I also didn't like the blade-to-handle ratio - with that top-and-bottom choil arrangement in front of the handle the cutting edge relative to the rest of the knife became rather short. And what is a knife, if not its cutting edge, eh? Then there was the whole Americanised tanto point thing (a sharpening nightmare and far too 'tacti-cool' for me). Funnily enough, the one thing that I did appreciate was the serrated blade spine. In an EDC in which you will cut a number of materials, having the option of sharp serrations added to the versatility of the knife.

Would I recommend the knife? Sure. Handle one, decide what you want it for and whether it covers your needs, and make the call. For someone in law-enforcement, or search and rescue, it is probably a great knife. For a civilian EDC or hiking/field knife, however, I would shop around a bit because there are more appropriate options out there.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    Hi Ozzy

I owned one some years ago when they first came out. I bought it as a handy fixed blade EDC. These days I am not a fan of CRKT knives (their materials have taken a turn for the worse). However, the Hammond has been in CRKT's line-up for some time, and I think it is still produced as it was: AUS 8 steel, zytel handle slabs and kydex sheath. It was a very well made knife, with good grind lines and symmetry. And it sat in the hand rather well.

But I eventually gave it away as a gift because there were a couple of things that prevented it from being a 'keeper'. The sheath was over-engineered. It was meant to be attachable to just about anything, and so you ended up with a massive arrangement of screws, sheets of kydex and sprung steel clips that basically took the knife from a practical EDC to a portability challenge. I overcame that by having a simple leather sheath made with a holster clip (and I swept my pile of kydex and its associated knuts and bolts into the bin). I also didn't like the blade-to-handle ratio - with that top-and-bottom choil arrangement in front of the handle the cutting edge relative to the rest of the knife became rather short. And what is a knife, if not its cutting edge, eh? Then there was the whole Americanised tanto point thing (a sharpening nightmare and far too 'tacti-cool' for me). Funnily enough, the one thing that I did appreciate was the serrated blade spine. In an EDC in which you will cut a number of materials, having the option of sharp serrations added to the versatility of the knife.

Would I recommend the knife? Sure. Handle one, decide what you want it for and whether it covers your needs, and make the call. For someone in law-enforcement, or search and rescue, it is probably a great knife. For a civilian EDC or hiking/field knife, however, I would shop around a bit because there are more appropriate options out there.

Hope that helps.

See Ozzy,

There are people on Gunsite who can be objective and tolerant to the views and questions from the not so informed.

On behalf of mate Ozzy, thank you for this most objective and informative opinion.

Default Ozzy's Knife

My pleasure Para. Its great that people can turn to forums such as Gunsite for reviews and opinions before pulling the trigger on a new knife. Between us forumites there must be a wealth of opinions and experiences - and I for one am glad to be able to tap into this resource.