Banned

Default .22 pistol ammo hyper standard and damage.

My licence was approved for the Astra mini pistol. now since i have it I know that i will be carrying it as a SD weapon on some days that the 9mm just is not suitable or comfortable.
    The question here is what is a good .22 ammo to use for the shooting of a humanoid. big T mentioned a very good point of using match grade ammo for its reliability. But hey its rather anemic in delivery. Did a test with the rifle and shot oranges with sub - standard - high and hyper ammo. The normal ammo just punch's a hole through the fruit - a black spot front and back. The hyper blows the orange up like a .270 VERY VERY impressive, even the peel has the flesh off it. Kids dig it.
    Been researching this now for a while and there are many opinions, one article said that they were getting higher velocity from high velocity rounds than hyper rounds in a 3" barrel - any opinions ?.
    My local gun shop said -care full using that hyper in the pistol, its not designed for it. Same gun shop when I went back for more hyper " what you using the hyper for ?" - "my pistol" - "deadly , brilliant" ---- Huh whats changed ?.
    How will hyper fair in a mini Pistol ?
    Would it cause damage to pistol ?
    Would it be more effective than standard or high ?
    Some article advocated the sub sonic 60 gr bullet purely on penetration.
    What say yee all.

Banned

Default Re: .22 pistol ammo hyper standard and damage.

For which pressures is the pistol designed? Practice within those bounds. Only carry the "+P" rounds for SD.

A family member damaged his .22 revolver beyond repair by using the wrong .22 ammo. It was a Gecado and he got it for free, but the damage still occured after 24 shots of mixed .22 ammo.

User

Seeing as any cartridge requires a certain barrel length to reach its potential velocity I would think that you are not going to get your moneys worth out of high velocity .22 out of your little Astra. Before I lost my Walther TPH due to the idiotic FCA I ran Standard Velocity ammo in it. HV is rather like a politician ,all noise and no performance. Before I accquired my TPH I also had one of the little Astra's ,the Model 7000, if I remember correctly, I found it to be unreliable and got rid of it as soon as the TPH became available. Some of the more ancient members may remeber Mervyn Ullman who had the same problem with the 7000.

User

get the ammo that cycles the gun the most reliably and that gives you the least number of misfires.

And hope to hell when the shtf that you rather have your 9mm on you.

Banned

That's what I bought a 7000. It was bought as a certainty shot weapon for when hunting, every thing I shoot will now get a head shot as well. Thing is if I have it it will sometimes serve as SD weapon, as when in bush I will not be carrying rifle - 9 mm - and .22 pistol.
    I am sure of its use as a certainty shot weapon, but would like to delve into the 2nd use.
    Someone mentioned that the revolvers were likely to be damaged by + pressure ammo, but the pistols not really. Guys this is a hobby and interests me subject, I know its not a first choice weapon for anything, but I wanna and enjoy the knowledge seeking and learning and perhaps even debunking a few myths. i will be doing chroni and wet pack testing and playing with the toys as card is printed, but for now just hearing what those that might have experienced it know already.

Banned

ya was thinking about that last night, must not get lazy, but as i said in 2nd post - its more of a I want to know and need the something to experiment with and play with.Its SD use will really be more of when its go out with nothing or take .22. Even on farm there will be a rifle and the.22
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    get the ammo that cycles the gun the most reliably and that gives you the least number of misfires.

And hope to hell when the shtf that you rather have your 9mm on you.