Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default All the 404 owners on here

Hi Guys,

This is my first thread on Gunsite.

I see quite a few familiar people on here that should also know me from another well known more Afrikaans forum.

Dries101 and i are busy with some experiments regarding the use of 450gr bullets in our 404s. (I am still waiting for mine to be finalised by the gunsmith)

It would be interesting to hear if some of you have used these before or not?

The main available offering is currently the Woodleigh 450gr FMJ and SN.

Dzombo also makes a 450gr Solid for the 404.

Furthermore we are busy with Claw bullets also having made some 450gr examples which is lost in the mail with the rest of my stock, then Stewart bullets also indicated their willingness to make some.

According to Quickload we can push these at 2150ft/s at roughly 46000psi which should be safe.

The first tests Dries had done got us within easy reach of 2100ft/s.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Default Re: All the 404 owners on here

Nice to see you writing in english(-, as DWB mentioned we are experimenting with the 450's and at 2100'the recoil feels to me in anycase quite a but lighter than 400gr's at 2350 which is the speed one of my batches ran at. We have high hopes for the 450grs since it puts this old classic in a balistic class matched by very few big bores.

User

Will be following with interest. Not that there isn't anything I can afford to hunt that will run off (or towards me) when hit by a 400gr bullet.

Dries, ou maat, just like you i thought the English women would be less tempramental and thus married one, i was wrong :D :D

This itch of mine needs to be scratched now!

9 more days till i visit the gunsmith again :D

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Will be following with interest. Not that there isn't anything I can afford to hunt that will run off (or towards me) when hit by a 400gr bullet.
    I believe whe should put ourselves in the position that when opportunities come along that we are able to take them :D

Some free buffs still turn up :D

User

I will follow with interest, I have always liked heavy for caliber projectiles

If I may ask at own risk what was your recipe to achieve 2100fps with the 450gr

Dries will have to come in here, he has one of the slightly faster lots of S365, together with a Federal 215 primer was if i remember correctly 75gr.

Our target is 2160ft/s on a QL Node, with roughly 77.5gr S365.

This information was all calibrated for his rifle using QL

I will have to go and check my notebook but DWB is correct it is in that range or about- there is a 3gr difference between the Dzombo solid and the Woodleigh soft. At 2100 there are no signs of pressure and there is a theoretical upper limit of about 2260fps at max pressure. Which give ample room to play with. the biggest issue so far was trying to fit the very long Dzombo into the case and keep it within a length limit that still feeds out of my standard magazine

User

You have not shot anything with it except paper?
    Where did you obtain the woodleigh softs

No net yet, as said we are in the load development stages.

Just want to look at all the available options, test them in our rifles and then take them to field.

Seeing that you are in Hazyview, do you know of any sufficiently large willing test candidates :D :D

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast