Default Ihawu firearm centre - facebook...

If any of you are on facebook. Please go have a look at the post relating to their year end shoot.

There is a pic of an armed santa clause character, some of the text on the pic: "enterance fee: an unwrapped child's toy"

Now the worrying part to me is the actual post text:

"The toys will be donated to East Coast Radio's Toy Story.
    We all loosely use the term "I feel like a kid at Christmas" when we buy ourselves new "toys", remember there are lots of less fortunate children out there who will not get anything for Christmas, let's do our bit to change that. Please remember that the gifts are going to underprivileged children so no guns, knives etc, that promote violence."

Am i misintrperting the message here, but to me this message is speculating that guns promote violence?
    I hope that i am reading this wrong.
    I did comment on their post my concerns with the wording of the post. Will see what they say, if they do respond.

Any thought on this? Do i have reason to be concerned about the tone or choice of words, of their post?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ihawufirearm.centre?fref=nf

Default Re: Ihawu firearm centre - facebook...

Guns and knives are fun in an enviroment where you where taught how to use them and handle them safely. Maybe they(ihawu) foresee an enviroment not as aforementioned where the gifts will be handed out so instead of giving these type of gifts to the kids where by they foster unsafe practices due to lack of knowledge they wish to avoid that situation all together.
    Last edited by PistolBoy; 29-10-2014 at 23:47. Reason: Spelling

User

I think they've worded it badly but if we reword it to, "things that will make people who're not familiar with guns and knives think of violence" it's not a bad idea. Reminding people that we're not "all guns all the time" is a good PR move

User

I dont see any issue with it.

The advert is targeted *no pun intended* at adults.

I think it is a fantastic way to help donate presents to the less fortunate. I wish more gun clubs took this stance to give back to the commuinty.

*edit* oh now i see what you mean. I am still waking up. I agree. Maybe rather worded as "these special kids are to young for sport shooting so normal toys apply"

User

I don't see the issue considering where the toys will end up.

User

I really think this is just a case of slightly over reacting and a choice of words that can be misinterpreted.
    The first time they did this all the proud club members went out and bought toy guns..bows..knives etc.....needless to say...all the toys were returned by the charity.
    The ECR Toy story charity specifically asked that no toy guns or toy weapons be donated.

User

We have reviewed the wording in light of your comments here on the forum as well as on Facebook and have amended it accordingly. Please note that this is the request of the recipient organisation and is not intended to reflect any belief or attitude regarding firearm ownership. We believe in the principle of charity to just causes and are willing to provide gifts albeit with stipulations from the administrating / recipient organisation.