User

Angry Tobias on his soapbox - 28/12/2009

I was in a good mood after the past long weekend. Spending time with the family, etc. BUT now I need a , AGAIN...

1. Will a responsible gun owner leave his firearm in his car?

First thing I though when starting to read the article was: "Good another
    criminal caught, and a firearm recovered."

Reading further, my blood started boiling. WTF!!!! You carry your firearm for
    SD, not to leave it in your car for a common thieve to pick it up. It's hard
    enough for us to obtain legal firearms and you are just giving them away...

2. Where is Water & Swim Free SA today?

How many confirmed drownings are there in Gauteng alone, since the
    beginning of December? The answer is 23, according to an article on News24
    Most of the drownings involved small children.

Other articles on News24 involved a man drowning in Harties and two others in Gordon's Bay.

More people have drowned in the past couple of weeks than were killed in firearm accidents.

Can we add this to the firearm stat?

OK... Coffee and taken... Lets hope it helps...

Tobias

Quote Originally Posted by Bahrahsimo View Post
    I was in a good mood after the past long
    1. Will a responsible gun owner leave his firearm in his car?

Tobias
    You are a hundred km away from home and need to enter a gunfree zone , what do you do?

Previously it wasn't illegal to lock the firearm in a vehicle. I did notice on the re application form it now states you are not. (Thats if my memory serves me correctly)

Any suggestions?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Default Leaving a firearm in a car

Get a small handgun safe installed by an approved installer for the odd occasion when you have no choice but to lock a firearm in your car.

Banned

Default Please don't do this

I am going to ask nicely. Please do not do this ever.

It is GFSA and governments statements that you promote. ie firearm owners are irresponsible. They are provably not irresponsible. Even GFSA's own study by Antony Altbeker shows that.

Firstly I don't care where I leave anything I am not responsible for any criminal act in removing it or consequential act by the criminal who stole it.

Is a motor vehicle owner responsible for the theft of his vehicle no matter where he leaves it?

Which principle of law is being applied to the victim of a crime being responsible for the crime?

Do not please do not help government and GFSA by blaming firearm owners for ANYTHING ever or even agreeing with somebody who does. Correct them.

That includes the blaming of illegal guns for crime because you now reinforce and agree with gun control's statement - guns cause crime. Can anyone prove that?

Don't even say "get rid of illegal guns first". Nobody knows how to do that and you are inviting them to try in the only way possible, by removing your firearm along with every other legally owned firearm.

We have to learn to be very careful of what we say and do in order to protect our image. Please keep this in mind always.

User

Crimefree

Good point...

User

Crimefree is right. The issue is not guns, it is crime. When the cops blame us for the crime and try to control us it is as good as them admiting that they have lost any hope of winning the battle against criminals.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Thanks CF , sometimes ,the obvious just needs to be pointed out to us.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Talking

taken...

Thanks CF

I need to have a drink, chill and relax....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    Thanks CF , sometimes ,the obvious just needs to be pointed out to us.
    No thanks required but are very much appreciated. It is also nice to know that others agree and see the point. Thanks for the feedback guys. That gives hope that enough do care and reason for me to do it again.

The point of most concern is that a large number of firearm owners believe that government and GFSA's accusations of irresponsible behaviour and responsibility for criminals having guns has some merit. They therefore willingly accept restrictions that are totally unjustified by evidence. That is a mistake and no law should be based on false information and all laws must have some chance of doing what they are supposed to do.

The FCA meets none of these criteria.

But let me give an example of what seems at first to be an good letter.

Read this letter below used as an example only and see if you can spot what is wrong that points to a failure to even comprehend what the problem is.

He's a clue - "Don't get me wrong...."

If this person thinks the FCA is OK and he is a dealer why the heck should anyone think the FCA is a "monster" and only the implementation is a problem?

The FCA saw the demise of +80% of dealers not the implementation. The FCA saw so far more than 44% of firearm owners removed not the implementation. The FCA will see us all disarmed not the implementation. The FCA will see those firearms destroyed not the implementation. The FCA will see nobody gets compensation or even reasonable compensation not the implementation.

Just what is to be gained by a better implementation? Is there anyone who believes the FCA just needs fixing? Apparently so. Somebody please tell me why, I must be missing something. Who gave this dealer false hope?

Class action is a good idea but why would anyone bother and what would this class action achieve on its own? The government and CFR have been aware of the implementation and service delivery problems of the FCA from day one because SAGA took them to court and they said they were ready and capable and continue to say it every time CFR is asked. No attempt has been made to improve that by any measurable margin. Why? Because the FCA is working exactly the way it was planned and intended.

There is a better simpler solution that will make a difference when used in combination with any other action. What is it? What is the only thing government takes any notice of - public opinion, voiced such that government can hear it, read it, see it and count heads if need be. That is why I say - protect your public image at all costs.

Combine that with what GFSA would call an "event" which could be a class action suit or other court case and massive publicity that has one purpose - to improve public safety and rights, then you have something that will be noticed by government. Your publicity must not promote grievances or hardship to any great extent because you get no sympathy vote from the public. The public's only concern is their safety. Firearm owners threaten that because firearm owners do not protect their image.

====================
    Letters man/Magnum
    Class Action
    It's been five years and finally some leeway
    has been made into the FCA. Don't get me
    wrong, as a firearms dealer I actually agree
    with most of the Act, but I have suspected
    from the start that the implementation
    thereof would be a catastrophe, which it
    has been. I think it's time for firearm owners
    to strike while the iron is hot. Why
    don't we get Martin Hood & CO to file for
    a class action?

It's up to us to put a stop to this monster
    once and for all, and it will take a heart
    shot to put this guy down. Mumbling and
    grumbling is not going to accomplish anything.
    Africa isn't for sissies. - DA, Gauteng
    manMAGNUM Jan 2010