Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SAGA response on ANC statement

See below.

Good day,

The ANC has called on the removal of illegal fire-arms from society. They want to review the existing gun control measures with a view to limiting access to guns that end in the wrong hands.

We would like just a brief response on the above ANC statement.
    Do you agree on this matter or not? Do you think it will make a difference?

Kind Rwegards
    Athi Mtongana; eNCA Cape Town Reporter

Dear Ms Mtongana,

The South African Gunowners’ Association fully agrees with any and all measures to remove firearms from illegal possession. After all, this is one of the objectives of the Firearms Control Act, No. 60 of 2000. SAGA, however, disagrees that any measures aimed at the reduction of firearms in the hands of the law abiding will contribute significantly to a reduction in violent crime. Criminals source their firearms from legal owners, the police and military and they make their own. Not only should the police focus their attention on the reduction of unlicensed firearms (this might be difficult since they are already over-burdened and under-resourced), civil society should take responsibility to become obedient to the law. Plain and simply there is too much civil disobedience among our people. People must learn to respect human beings and the law. Unfortunately it seems that some people have no such respect.

Law abiding citizens have the right to choose their involvement in legal activities – this is the result of our constitutional dispensation, something we fully support. The Firearms Control Act provide for limited circumstances under which people may possess firearms, e.g. (i) self-defence; (ii) hunting; (iii) sport shooting; and (iv) as collectors. All these people undergo very strict procedures to become competent and to obtain licenses. They further need to maintain their status in any particular category since licenses need to be renewed after 5 or 10 years. All license holders are further subject to very strict prescripts, such as the safe storage and safe and responsible handling of firearms. Collectors, hunters and sports persons usually require larger numbers of firearms than others. The law currently provides that no person may possess more than one handgun or shotgun for self-defence. In any event, all indications show that the bare minimum crimes are committed by lawful firearm owners.

SAGA is of the view that the call of the ANC is based on sentiment and not on fact and accordingly we reject all calls to further restrict the lawful possession of firearms. While we mourn every death and injury of all victims of crime, we believe that people who commit crimes must be hunted down (legally) and brought to book in accordance with the criminal justice system. People must realize that only they could make a difference to improving the system by being law abiding and by contributing towards improving such system. We must stop blaming instruments of crime. Despite the carnage on our roads no-one calls for the banning of vehicles; despite the many drowning of people no-one calls for the banning of swimming pools or the sea; and so I could carry on. Criminals will always obtain guns or whatever else to commit their atrocities with while the disarming of the law abiding will merely cause them to become easier targets.

User

Default Re: SAGA response on ANC statement

SAGA is cooking! Sommer makes me want to renew my membership!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Slaaibak View Post
    SAGA is cooking! Sommer makes me want to renew my membership!
    I'm glad I never stopped mine.

User

Well done. Good response.

User

Collectors, hunters and sport shooters require larger number of firearms...so they agree only one firearm for SD. Ai tog

And I'm first and foremost a hunter.

User

Where do I sign up?

User

"Hunted down" sounds a bit aggresive and might give the wrong impression imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Castos View Post
    Where do I sign up?
    http://www.saga.org.za/MEMBERSHIP/

User

No, "found, fixed and destroyed" sounds aggressive. "Hunted down" sounds proactive and not reactive or just cleaning up the crime scene after the fact.

User

Signing up, seems like they are starting to do their job again, SAGA, GOSA and all other individual efforts combined will make a difference. I just hope they keep it up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast