Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default More Manipulation

Guys,

I refer to the attached statement GFSA (downloaded from their website and inserted in case it "disappears"): 2014-04-26_MatzopoulosResearchOxford.pdf

I reference the first paragraph which reads:

"Evidence that South Africa’s Firearms Control Act (2000) has saved thousands of lives is being presented today at the University of Oxford. The research, which was published in the March 2014 edition of the reputable American Journal of Public Health, shows that over 4,500 lives were saved from gun violence in five SA cities between 2001 and 2005."

The abstract from the research in question reads as follows:

"Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

We assessed the effectiveness of South Africa's Firearm Control Act (FCA), passed in 2000, on firearm homicide rates compared with rates of nonfirearm homicide across 5 South African cities from 2001 to 2005.
    METHODS:

We conducted a retrospective population-based study of 37 067 firearm and nonfirearm homicide cases. Generalized linear models helped estimate and compare time trends of firearm and nonfirearm homicides, adjusting for age, sex, race, day of week, city, year of death, and population size.
    RESULTS:

There was a statistically significant decreasing trend regarding firearm homicides from 2001, with an adjusted year-on-year homicide rate ratio of 0.864 (95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.848, 0.880), representing a decrease of 13.6% per annum. The year-on-year decrease in nonfirearm homicide rates was also significant, but considerably lower at 0.976 (95% CI = 0.954, 0.997). Results suggest that 4585 (95% CI = 4427, 4723) lives were saved across 5 cities from 2001 to 2005 because of the FCA.
    CONCLUSIONS:

Strength, timing and consistent decline suggest stricter gun control mediated by the FCA accounted for a significant decrease in homicide overall, and firearm homicide in particular, during the study period."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24432917

Now, please note the beginning of the Firearms Control Act of 2000, which I have extracted from Juta's Statutes (the resource used by almost every lawyer in the country)

FIREARMS CONTROL ACT 60 OF 2000

[ASSENTED TO 4 APRIL 2001] [DATE OF COMMENCEMENT: 1 JULY 2004]
    (Unless otherwise indicated)

(English text signed by the President)
    as amended by
    Firearms Control Amendment Act 43 of 2003
    Firearms Control Amendment Act 28 of 2006
    Civilian Secretariat for Police Service Act 2 of 2011
    Criminal Law (Forensic Procedures) Amendment Act 6 of 2010
    Protection from Harassment Act 17 of 2011
    Dangerous Weapons Act 15 of 2013
    also amended by
    Criminal Law (Forensic Procedures) Amendment Act 37 of 2013
    [with effect from a date to be proclaimed - see PENDLEX]

Do you notice anything strange here?
    How can the Firearms Control Act have saved lives between 2001 and 2005 when it only effectively became law on 1 April 2004 and only really began to be implemented by the SAPS during 2005?

In fact, what this tells us is that the Firearms Control Act in fact has probably done nothing at all and that the old Arms and Ammunition Act was probably adequate and that the Firearms Control Act has been nothing more than a waste of time and money… Thank you Gun Free South Africa.

Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 03-11-2014 at 10:41.

Banned
    harties...If you are reading this, thank a teacher. Since its in English, thank a soldier.

Default Re: More Manipulation

this stuff is becoming very very annoying

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

It's the Medical Research Council up to their usual lies and filth again. They are always happy to manufacture a win for the gun control nazis.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Thank you WZ! I'm confident that this is a more than adequate base to blast GFSA's lies from.

User

And the scary thing is that this article probably had to go through a double blind peer review process. As an academic myself, we are seeing more and more of this commercial quality type research creeping into professional journals.

User

How does an article go through a double blind test? I am genuinely interested to know the logistics of this?

Does one person read a fake document and the other the real one then the tester compares what each one took from the document but the tester doesn't know if he had the facts from the real or fake document in the first place ?

Or do you go full placebo and give one person the real document and the other thre fake document but black out all the writing and then see who is affected more by each document?

User

How many road deaths were there in the same time period? Or from shack fires? Or from poor living conditions? 4500 over 5 years is pathetic actually. If the figures were 45 000+ you may have a case.

I also want to see how they proved a negative. It could be useful for other dabates. Looks like they are leaving out some choice and specific words.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

What happened to the contact details? I was looking to reach out to them.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Hi WZ, the attachment is invalid. Would it be possible to reload it as we can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Hi WZ, the attachment is invalid. Would it be possible to reload it as we can use it.
    Done. Should work now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast