Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Does anybody know this ammo: 7.92mm

In German (maybe not modern German, but 1900 German) the "J" and "I" were largely interchangeable. Remember that the Germans used the Gothic alphabet for ages, and only very recently converted to the present Roman alphabet.

The letters I or J denote Infanterie. The S denotes Spitzer. The 8 x 57mm was originally adapted with a 0,318", 198 gn RN FMJ bullet, for mility use, hence the name "Infanterie" (Eng Infantry). Around 1905 they decided to change over to a more efficient 150 gn Spitzer (high MV, lower BC) bullet, following the Swiss example. Since this bullet had a much shorter bearing surface, it was decided to make the rifling grooves deeper, to ensure sufficient "bite" on the bullet. To make the conversion as easy as possible, the bullet size was increased to 0,323" (+ 0,005"). The barrels had to be adapted. This was done by supplying the armourer with a long broach, that they could just pull through the barrel, from breech to muzzle, with the rifle clamped in a vise. When the bore was finished and inpected, it was stamped with a letter "S" to indicate the new ammo type. The rear sights were also replaced, with a new part calibrated to the flatter trajectory of the new bullet. The whole conversion was possible in a small mobile field workshop.

The older I or J calibre, was still retained by hunters, who favoured the heavy RN bullet, over the new Sptizer type. To this day, both versions of the basic same cartrige exist side by side.

The cartridge pictured on this thread, is obviously of the Spitzer type, thus .323"diameter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    In German (maybe not modern German, but 1900 German) the "J" and "I" were largely interchangeable. Remember that the Germans used the Gothic alphabet for ages, and only very recently converted to the present Roman alphabet.

The letters I or J denote Infanterie. The S denotes Spitzer. The 8 x 57mm was originally adapted with a 0,318", 198 gn RN FMJ bullet, for mility use, hence the name "Infanterie" (Eng Infantry). Around 1905 they decided to change over to a more efficient 150 gn Spitzer (high MV, lower BC) bullet, following the Swiss example. Since this bullet had a much shorter bearing surface, it was decided to make the rifling grooves deeper, to ensure sufficient "bite" on the bullet. To make the conversion as easy as possible, the bullet size was increased to 0,323" (+ 0,005"). The barrels had to be adapted. This was done by supplying the armourer with a long broach, that they could just pull through the barrel, from breech to muzzle, with the rifle clamped in a vise. When the bore was finished and inpected, it was stamped with a letter "S" to indicate the new ammo type. The rear sights were also replaced, with a new part calibrated to the flatter trajectory of the new bullet. The whole conversion was possible in a small mobile field workshop.

The older I or J calibre, was still retained by hunters, who favoured the heavy RN bullet, over the new Sptizer type. To this day, both versions of the basic same cartrige exist side by side.

The cartridge pictured on this thread, is obviously of the Spitzer type, thus .323"diameter.
    Most of this I already knew. But this is the best explanation I have ever come across. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST View Post
    264WinMag,
    Where do you live? I could remove one bullet and measure it for you, if you're close at hand.
    I have an 8mm collet for my bullet puller.
    Hey Thomast,

I am based in Centurion, Pta. I have spoken to wave.jaco that we meet up sometime to see if the rounds fit into his 8mm mauser.

Thanks for info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2