User

Default New Semi-Auto Shotguns

Who currently stocks new semi- auto shotguns which is suitable for 3 gun sports shooting.
    A 7 plus mag tube capacity. I am aware that there are agents for Benelli in S.A but do they currently carry stock. The last I heard on this forum is that a M4 Benelli cost 26K from Twinbore. There are used semi-auto's going around but are 3 round capacity, more hunting not sports shooting.

Who stocks semi-auto's and what models and how much?

Both the Remington 1100 and 11-87 can have mag tube extensions added so they hold more ammo. There are factory extensions available in the states as well as others from several other sources (Wilson / Scattergun, etc.) Not that it would make much difference money-wise but I would choose a new Benelli M2 with the Comfort tech stock over the heavier and more expensive M4 if going that route. Remington is also making the 1100 'TAC 4' model which, in the 22in version, comes very close to a what you are looking for and at a lower price.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...100-tac-4.aspx
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

I have traditionally been partial to Remington, but have heard the most hoirrific quality control stories on their later weapons (particularly rifles - barrels set into receivers off-centre, etc), along with quite scary aftersales service issues (as in 'what aftersales service?'). Do you have any comments in this regard?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

I have not really kept up with Remington for some years now, but they have been bought out by Cerberus, along with Bushmaster, Marlin and some others. The transition from a firm whose primary job is to build rifles and shotguns to one whose purpose is to make money for shareholders is usually not accompanied by an increase in QC for sure. I have not heard much about rifle issues but I do know their budget 'Express' line of shotguns has had some problems in the past few years. It would come as no surprise to me that their budget rifle line (M700SPS and M770) would too.

I have not heard of major issues with their Wingmaster, Police Model, or other premium grade shotguns nor with the full 700 BDL, etc. series, but increased production will often mean less stringent standards and / or inspection before shipping.

Inside the US it would seem that Remingtons service is still very good...outside, I cannot say.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I have a new model (2009) Rem 1100 Tac4 - it shoots like a dream and I am very happy with it.

I also have a old (pre Wilson Combat) Scattergun Tech 870 with a short barrel that I like a lot and it also shoots like dream. Only once did I have a prob with the 870 and that was when some type of debris lodged in the magazine tube and imbedded in the plastic follower which locked the plastic folower halfway in the tube - lesson learned is replace the sh&* plastic follower with a VanComp or Brownells Stainless follower.

The only issues I had with the 1100 were :

1. Extended mag tube Locking nut came loose and the shottie dissassebled itself in SSP's hands - here is what I learned from the incident:

Both the tube and the ext tube are threaded for the locking nut. When I cleaned and inspected the disassembled 1100 after the incident at home I saw that the locking nut was obviously unscrewed from the main tube and that is why the 1100 came apart because it was designed to do that to enable one to strip and clean it.

What also stood out was that the locking nut was not screwed tight to the extension tube (that is how It was when I first stripped and cleaned it as a new gun), it was in fact totally loose on the ext tube thread - the lock nut and the ext tube should be screwed onto the main tube as a "unit" meaning the locking nut should be securely tightened to the extension tube before the ext tube is screwed via the locking nut onto the main tube.

IMO the locking nut wandered up and down the thread of the main tube and ext tube because it was not screwed down tightly on the ext tube and so managed to undo itself from the main tube and voila instant disassembly.

Although the front end of ext tube is also clamped onto the barrel the the fact that the locking nut was not locked on to the ext tube resulted in the locking nut not being locked down at all as I thought it was and therefor resulted in disassembly. I replaced the standard barrel and tube clamp with a more sturdy aftermarket clamp which assembles with a allen head screw instead of the standard slotted screw.

Regularly check screws and nuts on firearms

Mark the QD or QR systems with a marking pen to give give instant verification that all is well.

No harm done in the end of the day and I am grateful that it did not happen as I was shooting the last stage because then my time would have been more dismal than it already was - brainfailure and auto shotgun disassembly would have been a mean combination.

2. The plastic follower (again) that came as standard with the gun from time to time stuck at the junction of the extension mag tube and the standard tube resulting in a max of 5 rounds loadable in the tube instead of 8 rounds. I replaced the plastic follower with a Brownells Stainless Steel follower, rounded the edges of the follower and also lihtly sanded the inside edges of the ext tune and standard tube where they meet - it seems the problem is now resolved.

All in all I am very happy with both my Remingtons , old and new.!

Do I want something else? - yes I surely do 1 - a Saiga 12 because it intrigues me.
    Last edited by DS; 05-01-2010 at 11:08.