Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: A second call for help – this time from John Welch

I quickly scanned a few web sites and most of the stats or studies out there is corrupted by the filth from GFSA and partners. We REALLY need to get our own research branch of the ground as a matter of urgency. GOSA has the social media networks and SAGA the financial structure and Gunsite a lot of willing donors, for short term and long term we need to get this going.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    We should start with the implementation date of the FCA. I will contact the SAHA for details and SAPS archives. I'll also start with the national archives and military archives for info.

This is a major undertaking and needs a full time professional. I did post for donations to hire someone. I'm willing to put in R5000 to start and a monthly R500 going forward.
    I've relayed to John.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    WZ where are you based? Seems everybody is keen to chip in money.
    Joburg North.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Gentleman & ladies,

I have had the following request from John, which with his permission I am placing here because I have told him that if anybody can get it together, it is us, the Gunsite folks. If we can help we should....can we please see how best we can get the info together and collate for John? We need a champion to take over this thread and run hard with it and manage the team going forward. Any volunteers? In the event of a multiplicity of volunteers (my wishful thinking) we'll choose a chief champ and then sub-champs to team together....
    One of the categories which needs specific attention is home and business robbery. These two have increased exponentially since 2004. I've battled to find the figures I had last year but my recollection is that these were decreasing up to 2004, then swung hugely.

Although everyone talks homicide (where the trends favour us again), home and business robberies show how empowered criminals feel that they can come into out inner sanctums and pillage almost at will.

Stats for rape are relatively constant and perhaps even increasing. Thus there certainly has been no net benefit for the safety of our women either.

See http://www.crimestatssa.com/national.php

Unfortunately these only go back to 2004, and we need to preceding 5 years very badly.

WZ

Whoever is doing the stats should also check out www.Gunpolicy.org - some good stats there for us and has 1994 homicide rates there too.

WZ - how about Ivo Vegter? He crunches numbers and has a prominent media profile?

He wrote the piece:

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opini.../#.VFtis-fbwXw

User

Good point!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    WZ

Whoever is doing the stats should also check out www.Gunpolicy.org - some good stats there for us and has 1994 homicide rates there too.
    Look at the source of many of the stats there too.. GFSA has quite a hand in Gunpolicy.org.. Well with the FCA and GF zones etc they did last time I checked. So I assume they will be with the stats too..

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Look at the source of many of the stats there too.. GFSA has quite a hand in Gunpolicy.org.. Well with the FCA and GF zones etc they did last time I checked. So I assume they will be with the stats too..
    Yes GFSA do, and some of the stats are not so good for them. Like suicides for example - higher in 2008 than 1999 yet a pillar upon which GFSA rests is suicide being facilitated by gun ownership.

Interestingly, in the accidental gun death column at the height of legal gun ownership - 1999 - this is listed as being 9. I think a lot more than 9 got struck by lightning that year...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post

We need figures for the at the least the years 1999 - 2004 as well. They are incredibly difficult to find. I always have my reservations but I have found I'm being forced to use Wikipedia!!
    Wikipedia does include references which might not be a bad place to start

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast