User

Default Lithgow Slazanger 1B .22 bolt action value?

Hi guys, my grandmother has this rifle in her possession. Just curious as to its value?

It it appears to be rather old and I know it's at least 40yrs old. From stories of my dad running in the koppies p, and taking pot shots at planes when he was ten.

anyone know anything? Sorry for the random back drop, and implements in the pictures.

User

Default Re: Lithgow Slazanger 1B .22 bolt action value?

Monetary, probably not that much. Sentimental, immense.

I'd wager that rifle is closer to 70y old than 40 ;-) my model 12 (the magazine fed version, not the single shot like the 1B) left the factory in 1948 and my great-grandfather bought it new.

Google "Lithgow museum" email the info address on there with your serial number and they'll be able to tell you when they had record of it.

These guns are exceedingly accurate, partly due to the heavy barrel, made from blanks originally destined to become .303s. At the end of the War, there was an oversupply in Oz and the Lithgow guys decided to use what they have to make sporter rifles. The .22s are based on a Winchester design but it's more refined and better made. The safeties can be finicky.

I recently shot a 2" 5-shot group with mine at 50m, with its open sights (for the NSA competition, so using only a front rest.) Off-hand, at clay-pigeon sized targets it's almost impossible to miss...

:- P

User

Yeah in terms of monetary value about R500. You can get these little rifles scoped for ~R1,000 these days. I'd keep it if I were you. You'll get a lot more than R500's worth of shooting out of it.

User

I can't see the photos now but I believe I owned one before. I bought it for just R250.00 and also sold it for R250.00, so at least it was not a bad investment lol.
    I did have one accident with it though. One of the cases exploded while shooting. I spend that afternoon at the docters while he removed some scrapnel from my eye. Eye protection is important.

User

Thanks guys. Not really looking to sell, just more curious as to its value. Think I will use it to shoot NSA.

Just need to first do my proficiency training, and licensing on my AR.

User

I inherent one from my dad. He bought it new in '47. All I can say it is extremely accurate and very simple to use, no fancy stuff. I put silencer and 6x42 linx on it and whala. Bought 1000 22 subsonics in '97....... Very good

User

The license for my 1A was just approved. It looks the same. Same story about my father running around in the koppies hunting feathered game.

I recently shot some groupings for NSA on this rifle and what a pleasure. It's cheap to shoot and accurate to boot. I am tempted to put a scope on it to see over what distance I can get a decent grouping.

Basie2, please show us a photo of your 1B.

User

Sorry guys, mine is a 1A. Will try that photo

User

Thanks guys. Dragged my gran mother down to the range the other day so I could shoot it a bit (was quite the sight seeing this old lady on the range, pity she didn't want to shoot). Sadly it seems like there is a little rust inside the bore of the barrel not much but it is there,and the stock is cracked under the hand guard. It still shot great though, and I'm quite impressed.

User

I cannot get tapa to download the pics ( I have an ipad 1). My comment on any barrel fauling- just give it a good thorough cleanout and it will return to its formal glory. I was shooting those small 6mm caps and after 100 rounds the poa moved drastically- tried with sub sonics, still irratic. Down to elbow grease and whalla, as good as new. You "cannot shot out" a .22's barrel. Its not like my 22/250 that went cripple after 4000 shots. Mine was used by my late father on the farm as the only rifle. I shot many cattle in winter, never had a problem. Once shot a pig and had a problem, the lard was 75mm thick on his head and the little bullet got stuck in it- my dad was furious, on the 3rd shot I killed it!! ( these items mentioned was shot from a distance less than 6m as it was domestic items)