Thread: What Reticle?

User

Default What Reticle?

When you look to buy a scope, apart from the quality of the optics, what reticle do you look for? And will the choice depend on whether the use will be bushveld or plains hunting?

User

kurly,
    On what calibre rifle are you going to mount it?
    For bushveld use, a nice simple 30/30 reticle (standard crosshair with thinner centrepiece) with a well defined aimpoint (against darker foliage) would be a good choice.
    Open country hunting you could use a finer reticle. Sometimes a thick reticle and lower magnification scope would obliterate your target at long range.
    The scopes with aiming off points are very nice for varying distance shooting. The Long Range Reticle of Leupoldt is a very simple, effective system which I like a lot. The Varmint Reticle gives you aiming off points for different distances as well as for 5 & 10mph cross winds. Looks a bit busy when looking through it, but you can possibly get off a quicker shot without having to adjust the crosshairs
    The trick is to load your ammo to a velocity so that the trajectory of the bullet matches the corresponding aim off points on the reticle at the different distances. If you dont reload, not to worry, because they have been designed to be used with different calibres at different ranges, with different zero points.
    This is of academical use if you dont know the distance to your target, so a rangefinder is very nice to have.
    My personal choice is to use a simple 30/30 reticle and dial in the distance to my target, with rifle zeroed @100m. Once you know your scope, it becomes second nature.
    If you are buying a good quality scope which tracks accurately & consistently, either option would work well. However some of the cheaper scopes dont track as well and in such a case aiming off points are the way to go, as you would only zero your rifle at a specific range and then you wouldn't have to adjust the reticle of your scope in the veld/range again.
    Hope it makes sense.. ;)

User

Thomast thanks for the info, it all makes sense.

I have 2 scopes, Tasco 4x44 and Simmons 3-9x40, both with 30/30 reticles. They are for my 7x57 for bushveld use.

The reason I ask the question is you get the same scope with the various reticles so it's nice to know, before buying a scope, which reticle is better suited to your application.

I have been surfing and found a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 with a BDC(bullet drop compensating) reticle in concept similar to the Swarovski TD S-4 reticle . This seems too busy and overkill for bushveld hunting. To me this would be more useful to an open plains hunter shooting over longer distances. For those that might be interested the Nikon is selling for R1752 ex post from www.take2.co.za.

User

My two cents worth; plain old duplex recticle (30/30 i think) for everything. Simplicity for me is key, I dont want to worry about different aimpoints as well when under pressure. Having said that I seldom pull the trigger when the target is farther than 200m.

User

I had a duplex and fitted a mil dot and personally I feel that it was a waste of money.