Thread: The Sig P226

Default The Sig P226

What do you guys think of these? I seen them mentioned here before and have mentioned them myself. They've always had good reviews, and were neck and neck with the Beretta to win the US Military contract.

I always liked them and managed to get one about 6 years ago. I find it very comfortable in hand, and accurate to shoot. The high bore axis was never an issue, however I only put a few mags through it at a time, so can't really say whether this will become an issue with more shooting or not. The gun has been flawless with the couple hundred rounds its seen and the trigger is pretty sweet to say the least. These guns don't have an external safety, they utilise a hammer drop mechanism to take the gun safely back to double action. Its also pretty light for a metal framed gun, however mine is the older model which has the stamped slide, and not as pictured. Overall I really enjoy this gun, and am happy that I satisfied my craving, I'd also buy a P228 if a decent one come up.

Would I carry this everyday, na, its full size and way to pretty to do that to, although some don't like it's looks. I'd trust my life on it anyday, but for carry I'd still choose a Glock G19. I've always considered my Glock to be my Tupperware Sig, just as reliable, just as easy to use, but just that little more disposable. ;D

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: The Sig P226

I got to play with one at our range a while back and I really liked shooting it! I had no problem with "high bore axis" and it was beautifully accurate with a fantastic double & single action trigger.

It's really a pity that they are sooooo expensive! If I paid the money that is being asked for them I'd have serious doubts about every day carry, not because the gun is not up to it but because I'd probably unconciously baby it, which goes against my mind set for an SD gun.

User

Carried my w. German P226 Classic for 14-years (4 of those on-duty while serving at the West Rand Flying Squad), had three malfunctions early on that I can recall which were reloads smokestacking (underpowered reloads so attributed to the ammunition, not the gun). I can still cycle a complete magazine through my P226 with empty brass - no feeding issues at all. No problem carrying it (or my HK USP-9) concealed. I often carried both of them in-fact *s*

I'm going to miss it, but replace it with another P226 States-side (full stainless steel P226 Elite and have Gray Guns remove the beavertail abomination (ack!) and apply Super Black finish throughout) as finances allow.

Got a few rifles to get first however, if anti-gun Obamanation gets in though.

Highly recommend SIG's from my side. Great duty weapon.

User

How much would you pay for a new one today?

Also, I really like the look of SIG pistols. They look a lot better than GLOCK (to me anyway).

I always assumed they were much more expensive than GLOCK (not to mention the reluctance of local gunshops to sell anything other than GLOCK) and so did not even try to get a price on one when I bought.

User

I purchased mine from Roy Swaydin (sp?) waayyy back in the day for R 5,500 (R 2k more than a Beretta 92F at the time) - a replacement the last time I was advised by Rescomp would be in excess of R 13,000 - but then with the costs associated with importing, customs etc. etc. it may not be a viable purchase in SA specifically.

I was the biggest SIG fan until they introduced some rather bizarre models out here in the US, and I think the beavertail is still rediculous and FUGLY on a handgun with a high bore-axis. I've never heard of slide-bite being an issue. It is marketing BS IMHO on a duty/self-defense firearm like a SIG/HK and belongs on a 1911 and a handful of other guns (at best), but Gray Guns can remove it and make it look like a factory model for $ 100. One thing on a competition gun, quite another on a SIG defensive firearm.

Alas, a SIG P226 with integral rails and a Nitrated stainless-steel slide would be great to own. I would have liked to upgrade if I were still back home and CFR and Government hadn't come along to rape our rights.

I'll take one of these here, and a P220 Elite and remove the beavertails, add a magwell to the P220 both with standard plastic grips and have them blackened seeing as the ST models here have been discontinued :